1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by EJD Lawnpride, Dec 13, 2008.

1. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride Junior Member

My HOA asked me to bid 949' x 4' of sidewalk to be snowblowed and salted. I do mowing but never really did snow removal. I think an hourly rate or per inch rate ? Thanks!

2. EJD Lawnpride

28 views and no responses? I just need some input here. I was wondering what and how you would charge for this.

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

1 Do you own a snowblower? If not I would forget it.
    2 How long would it take you to drive that blower down and back in 1st or 2nd gear?
    3 How much do you need to make per hour?

If 1 is yes, take ?2/60 x ?3 x 1.2= $ to charge.

Call insurance agent and make sure you are covered to plow snow commerically. If not I would forget it.

I don't do salt, but for a sidwalk like that I would use a drop spreader and bag salt. Find out how much a bag of salt costs and how much it will cover.

Good Luck

4. EJD Lawnpride

I don't own a snowblower yet,but was going to pick a used one up for my house anyway. What is the ballpark price on this size job?

5. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping Member

What ever you would need to cover your true costs plus profit you want to make.

6. EJD Lawnpride

Would you charge hourly or per inch? What would you charge for this size job? I live on the street that needs to be cleared.

7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

no ones going to tell you how to bid this is something you have to learn .

8. EJD Lawnpride

Glad i joined this site! It's worse than Lawnsite, at least some people are willing to help!

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Oh, were willing to help but we cant do everything for you. Bidding is something that you have to learn to do BASED on what is a fair market price in YOUR area. This is somethign that has been discussed to many times here. It doesnt matter what I would charge, i live 500 miles from you in a totally different market. I know how many times it snows here on an average, how many times does it snow there, i sure dont know. How much do you need to make to turn a profit, i know how much i work for, what are you willing to do it for? And many memebers DONT want to tell you what they charge because theres enough competion and they dont need to be giving out their prices. Hope you understand now?

10. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

I work for 95$ an hour. the 95 doesnt include salt, I charge 16$ for a bag of salt and my cost is 8$ a bag.

11. QuadPlower

I'd bid that job at $3.00/foot.

That would include me driveing to PA, renting a hotel room, and waiting for it to snow. Then using my equipment, insurance and fuel. That rate is by the foot.

I'm typing this really slow so you can read it again. Like I said before, how long would it take your used blower to go down and back. Take that time multiplied by how much you need to make. (pay for the blower, pay for insurance, pay personal expenses, pay for everything.) That rate is by the hour.

FYI: Pissing off people you are trying to get information from probably won't get you anywhere.

12. EJD Lawnpride

Not trying to piss people off. I'm a turf guy and don't intend to get into plowing. Just that the work is in my own neighborhood, and would be quick easy money. I don't do this type of work and don't know avg. prices for this work.I hope this helps your understand my side of this issue.

13. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

Tell them you charge ____$ an hour. Walk the sidewalk slowly ( or as fast as you would blow it) and times that hourly rate of at least 90$ an hour by how many hours it took you. then charge double the price of the bag for salt.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you dont know what to charge then how do you know it "would be quick easy money" LMAO

15. EJD Lawnpride

I think it would be easy because i live here! There is no travel time and i have owned a blower in past, and know our avg. snow storms aren't more than 2-4 in. at a time.

16. QuadPlower

2-4" can be shoveled very easy. If this is just "extra money" then it really shouldn't matter how much as long as you are happy. If you don't plan on bidding for any other jobs, then do it for what you want to do it for. What is 1 or 2 hours of your time worth out in the cold?

Call a local company and have them bid on it. When they give you a price, raise it by a % and give that price to the HOA. If they take it, you can either do it your self or sub it out to the company you contacted.

17. EJD Lawnpride

I was thinking $65/hr? Does this sound right?

18. QuadPlower

Have you even read the responses!!!!?

Your Labor rate X time required = amount to charge.

19. In MY area I would charge a flat rate seasonal over 2" of snow. 1000 feet of 4' sidewalk with my blowers would probably take me an hour to make a single pass and if a second pass is need then make it 2 hours. For two hours of blowing everytime it snowed over 2" I would be charging my 2hr parking lot rates which would be $450 per month. For salting I charge $25 per 80lb bag and I'd use a small walk behind salter (grass seed spreader) to apply it.

20. EJD Lawnpride

Thanks. I gave them an hourly rate. per bag price for salt.