1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gd8boltman, Aug 28, 2009.

1. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

formula assistance needed. I have a bid packet looking for salting sidewalks based on a linear foot price ( i know what a LF is) with two options:

1. Less than 10 granules per square inch

2. Greater than 10 granules per square inch

Not sure how to figure the equation to determine approx. usage per LF. If anyone has seen one of these and knows, I would appreciate your help.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking pure rock salt or calcium chloride?
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Thats funny. Its amazing how technically silly some of these specs have become-who wrote that spec?
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

good luck measuring 10 granules per a square inch...i've never heard of a quote broken down like that.
  5. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

They are requesting calcium

chloride. in my 20 years of being in this business, I also have never heard of such a thing. I talked to the Customer, his response was short stating, "that is for you to determine, you are the expert." I asked where he achieved that specification, and he stated from another Customers bid. I have done several internet searches and cannot find any info. May have to use the best guess method, which is not good for wither party.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I wouldn't worry about it just do your job the way you would anywhere else and make his place nice and safe you'll be good!