1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk ice melt help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowplow12345, Feb 6, 2007.

1. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

I use peladow ice melt on sidewalks at a commercial site and had some bad results. just wondered if anyone could help me come up with a better product.

the situation was 0 degrees to -5 degrees the day we applied the ice melt. it didnt melt like usual when conditions get wet do to ice/snow melting. instead it became mushy, and customers dragged the product into the building causing the owner to have all carpet professionaly cleaned. i am assuming it became mushy because it was so extremely cold and it didnt melt as usual. does anyone know of a better product i can use that will not become so mushy, causing another carpet cleaning.

2. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I just started using Jonathan Green' s ice melt. Seems to be doing a good job but haven't used it all that much.

3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I use calcium chloride flakes........

4. customers_snow

customers_snow Member
    from 48843

Calcium chloride is your best choice for colder temperatures. How much snow or ice were you attempting to melt? Perhaps the calcium chloride did its job by breaking any bond between the ice and the pavement. Once that is done, cleaning any remaining ice or snow with a shovel, etc., works wonders. In addition, all chemicals have a reduced capacity to melt ice and snow as the temperatures get colder. Given the same amount of ice or snow, you will need to at least double your application rate with a 20 degree drop in temperatures. Put another way, the same 2-4 ounces per square yard that you applied when the temperature was 25 is not enough.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

i think the problem was since it was so cold we thought applying more was better. the walks were shoveled before applying peladow ice melt. i think the property manager just wanted us to avoid over applying. i later found out he cleans the carpets monthly during the winter anyways. thanks for your help.