1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalk helpers??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

what is the going rate to pay your guys to run a snow blower and salt sidewalks. will be riding in truck with me and getting out to do the cold work.. im in mi if that makes a difference
  2. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I pay my two 12 hr. They are happy since there other job they can't work when it snows only pays em 10. I charge $35 an hour for shovelers w/ an hour min at every job they are on
  3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I pay my sidewalk guy $15/hr.
  4. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

contract employes

what about contracting the sidewalk help, and then u can just give them a 1099 at the end of the year and they are making more money now (so they think) if so does any one have any ideas as to how i should word the contract
  5. DadnSon

DadnSon Junior Member

I'm in Mich. also and pay guy's $15 an hour with no 1099's for them to worry about.

I know a few other's that wanted to do this and the sidewalk guy's told them ADIOS!! I would have done the same if I was in their shoes having to do the grunt work.
    Instead of a 1099, an additional contract, ticked off shovelers or freezing my butt off, I just look for creative way's to write off the money paid and/or absorb the cost.
    Heck, I'm making darn good money for the work so, I want them to feel they are being reasonably compensated and I kick them a little something extra at the end of the season based on their performance. This gives them incentive to do well and to be dependable and doesn't make me look like a tight/cheap a**
  6. AGLawnCare

AGLawnCare Junior Member

I think i pay my guys the most but i expect 110% and i get it. 18-22/hr. I'm in MI i don't know how much it matters. Most guys i know pay 14-16 but i like to pay well.