1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Help!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by M & MD Lawn, Oct 14, 2014.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Hey Guys, Hope you all are doing well!

I normally don't do sidewalks for commercials and don't bid them, but I bid a business which has 3 locations and in the beginning they didn't want sidewalks at all three locations only at the smaller one. I was going to bid at $45 per hour for the walks, using two blowers. They now want all the locations sidewalks done, which i don't have a problem with and equipped for but I want to make sure I am not lowballing myself.

Im not sure if hourly is a safe bet, id like to think so or do I go with by the foot? I am looking for some feedback and some numbers that would be competitive, given my inexperience at bidding walks, long walks anyway. I would assume also that you would only use the length not length x width for the walks?

Measurements are below, I measured straight walking (linear) and each walk is about 5ft wide.

Location 1- 602 linear feet
    Location 2- 573 linear feet
    Location 3- 167 Linear feet

I have some number s in my head but I'm not sure if I'm low or high

thanks for the help in advance!!
  2. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

53 looks and nobody has any help, now cmon. And yes I searched, nothing came up of help
  3. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

I'll take a jab

Location 2, 3000 sq ft per hr with blower, little under an hour labor, round up to $60 per 1~3"?
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

^That is the right track. I would not bid those hourly. Figure out how long it will take then multiply that times your desired hourly for flat rates.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

flat rate, up to X inches, then add 50% for next inch tier
  6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Wish every contract I had, had no sidewalks.
    I charge per inches and the rate I use is how long it would take to clear it.
    sidewalks take 1 hour to clear.
    1-3.9 $65 plus rock salt, say 2 bags $30 = $95
    Every 3 inches it's another $65 added and 2 bags of rock salt at the end.
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I figure 2500 square feet per hour with one blower. 2-4 inches.