1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by droprite, Dec 25, 2012.

1. droprite

droprite Junior Member

So where do you guys find reliable sidewalk shovelers or snowblowers. Been doing this for a while but cant find enough people willing to do them?
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

What do you offer pay wise? Maybe you're not paying enough. In all reality, the guys you're looking for are more then likely already out there walking the streets going door to door. They'll end up making as much if not more doing those places they find then what a company would pay. I think it would be different if the company was big enough to keep year round employees. Then they would just go to work like any other day.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Pay enough and they will come.
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

From my own experience, I would tell you that you really need to consider several qualifying factors, as well as the crowd to which you are searching. Things like...what their existing responsibilities are, as well as to whom they are responsible for in their daily lives. In other words, if they get their paycheck and head straight for the bar stool and close that bar...they will let you down when you need them the most. Money alone will not motivate this type of person, no matter how much you pay.

After a few heavy storms, even your best guys may get squirrelly on you. For that, I recommend maintaining an ongoing list of people to call for when things get rough. Design a questionnaire that addresses all of your concerns for those candidates to fill out. It should address their time available to work ( this also comes in handy for when they make excuses for failure to show & demand money).

Ideally, as an example: A student who needs money for school & is committed to their cause. Also, someone who has kids or family & is a responsible provider...not someone who is always dodging child support...You will find many of those & they will make your life miserable.
  5. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

I agree with COLDCOFFEE, get that list of people who want to work---->>>period.

How do you go about finding them you ask? Well I can tell you only what has worked for us.

Friends, friends of current employees & CRAIGSLIST--->>> I know!

The only real thing that sucks now is that CL requires payment(I think it is $25) for job postings(well at least in Minnesota). If you set it up correctly, you will have a HUGE list of applicants info in no time. Connect with all the ideal applicants immediately.

My personal opinion regarding the $25, it is worth it! It prevents spammers & sneaky marketers from posting.

In the first week(just before the $25 thing was implemented)that I created an ad for Snow shoveling & Snow Plowing help, 20 applicants hit up on it. We accepted 2 of them, since that is all we needed.

I actually made it only possible for applicants to be directed to my employment page on my website. Communicating in the CL ad that phone calls will not be accepted, forcing them to fill out employment requirements.

You will be surprised how many people in your direct area that are looking for work, any work.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  6. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you are in vt we can be subbed for walks...season long and we bring equipment

Walks only
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I look at a Handyman service and ask the guy if he needing more work
    This year I sub one guy since my work load went up

Its hard find a kid that wants to work these days

I call him a Sub but he use my trailer and ATV but He use his truck
    I pay him his rate he wants and he realy gets in and works hard I can tell he done snow before
    The kid I have now been with me for 4 yrs and he still dont know how clean a walk right way

To OP check at Handyman Service