1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk estimates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ParksLandscaping, Nov 19, 2002.

1. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping Member

I am just wondering how everyone esle estimates their sidewalks. Currently we walk the sidewalk at a pace as if you were pushing a snow blower. Then we multiply that by the number of passes that would be required to clear the sidewalk. Then we multiply it by what we want to make per man hour.

I was wondering what other formulas you guys use. Also how does everyone estimate the number of bags of deicer needed for sidewalks. Currently we do it visually, but it is not accurate enough for me.

Some reason I cannot see John Allin and his associates walking all of the sidewalk at the Olympics at snow blower speed!!!

Thanks for the help!!!

David A. Parks
  2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I bid walks hourly
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i also bid walks hourly
  4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I charge hourly, but I wont bid them.

If they want walks done, its hourly.

I will give an estimate though.
  5. Ben

Ben Member

Walks are $95.00 an hour If we do them. i personally would rather not do them.
  6. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

The method you use isn't a bad start it will probably work out. Once you start doing the work have your guys to keep an accurate count on how long it takes them to do the walks, and how much the time varies depenging on depth of snow. Then figure your square feet of sidewalk. After one winter you'll be able to accurately bid any walk you want and make what you want to make on it.

As for the de-icer question I charge per the 50 lb bag, and once one gets opened they pay for it. You can get a good 3500-4000 sf out of a bag.

Just track what u do and write it all down.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we use the area to bid them just like a lot, we measure and then have a production number that will eventually correlate to an hourly rate but we dont just use an hourly rate
  8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

LOL, dont blame ya.

I dont charge any less than the same hourly rate the truck and plow could be making ... Just because It could be working instead of sitting and doing nothing while I'm shoveling. And of course, I could be warm and cozy in my truck.

Hmmmm... I may be underpriced..

9. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I don't get out of my truck.:waving: Not to sound like a smart a$$ but if they want walks done they don't want me;) . I guess I'm lucky I don't need anymore accounts, If 1 of my accounts would ask for walks done I would drop them. 4- of my account do their own walks as I told them I don't do walks.
  10. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Oh, I dont mind, It pays decent.

Did have to add a stipulation this year to the contract though... Plowing always comes first in case of a heavy snow storm.

I was put in a bind last year trying to clear walks instead of plowing.