1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crews

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gll, Dec 9, 2007.

1. gll

gll Junior Member
    from pa

How much do you guys pay your sidewalk crews? The guy who works for me is a subcontractor and he uses my equipment(shovels, blower, and spreader), and I pay for the salt and calcium.

2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

If he works mostly for you and he uses your equipment and you direct his work he's a "worker" not a sub. That mistake is made so often..:dizzy:

He then needs his own insurance and workers comp. If something bad happens and the insurance is sure to investigate, they'll deem him contractor and they "may" deny the claim if you're not lucky. I say may, because it's a crap shoot but are you willing to gamble your business away???

Who knows, but I wouldn't!!!

Good luck and please heed the warning.

:)

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i was thinkin the same thing... ur equipment ur product ur employee

4. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Sidewalk crews get paid same as plow drivers up here at our company. The job is a lot harder as manual labor, and it is tougher to find workers.

We use Toro 1-stage blowers, scoop shovels, regular shovels, bags of salt and ice-melt and rock salt. Usually a small pick-up truck and a 2-man crew can handle anything. Otherwise plow-jockies have salt, shovel and snowthrower in their trucks.

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my sidewalk guy gets $25/hour cash takes him about 4-8 hours.... he has transportation, shovel and cell phone

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

$15/hour seems to be pretty typical here.

look at employment on Craigslist and search under "snow" and you'll see all the ads, and that should tell you what the going rate is.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i pay my shoveler $15.00 per hour

JR