1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalk crews

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OBRYANMAINT, Dec 20, 2001.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

planned on just sending them around with equipment on a landscape trailer....is this a common method?

have'nt seen this around here ....i see usually old ryder trucks , but i would never use the truck for much else!
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It sounds like it will work,I hate pulling a trailer in the snow,Id try to find a way to get rid of the trailer,its hard enough to find guys who can drive in the snow without crashing without a trailer.
  3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

we have a fellow we subcontract to who does our smallest driveways using an atv with a plow on it.. he hauls a trailer being pulled by a ford ranger.. it seems to work ok, but he does not have four wheel drive on the truck, thus necessitating the use of weight in the back of the truck.. if you intend to haul a trailer i suggets four wheeel drive, or hauling bags of salt in the bed of the truck.
  4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

We just use old 4x4 pickups, some with small trailers.
  5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I heard you even hooked the trailer up to a Sow once. Is this true? :D
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

We use cube vans.Used to use reg vans,but not high enough for big blowers and such.A 16-18 ft cube van works wonders,will carry the whole crew (with an old bench in the back),blowers,shovels,spreaders,and lots of salt.When the night is over they just park it and lock it,no unloading or leaving equipment outside,and your salt is always warm and dry.With all the stuff in it,and duals,it never gets stuck anywhere.

When we used to do maintenance and contruction,we also used them in the summer,so all the equipment stayed locked inside,only the mowers and bobcats went on trailers.If properly organized it's amazing what you can fit in them.

One other thing they are great for is advertising.They are a huge moving billboard.We get more calls from them than any other form of advertising.
  7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

F 550 and F 350 Crew Cabs, 2 and 4 wd, with rack bodies, and power lift gates.

8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

our sidewalk crew uses a 20' enclosed trailer with 2 quads, 5 blowers and a bunch of shovels. We pull trailers around all the time in the snow, no problem. We pull the skidsteer and usually another open trailer abound too.
  9. DEISL

DEISL Member

we got this kid w/ a foreman 4x4 w/ a small blade, he does a heck of a job on the large sidewalks,hes fabbin a spreader this year on it, should be ablast.
  10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We use the club cab landscape maintenance trucks (no trailers) with ramps for the snowblowers (if needed).
  11. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

We'll use trailers before the storm to "finalize" any site preparations, taking bobcats and atvs to unsecured sites, where equipment might otherwise walk away. Most sites provide an area for storage of w/b blades or atvs. Shovels, ice melt, laborers travel in the crew cab stakebodies when its time to work.

And for the most part we don't have a need for trailering as all crews are assigned to a particular site, or a few smaller sites within a few miles of each other.
  12. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Any one rent vans or box trucks from U-haul, Sears, etc.???

I run my sidewalk crews in 1 ton vans.....works ok but you run out of room fast!

I wouldn't mind to rent out 1 ton vans or larger(if price was right?) so I did'nt have to own and maintain. You know what I mean.

13. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

We fab a kind a drawer for the ramp, very easy handle. Just slide under a new floor. Fit 2 White 13|45 Blower and rack for the plow and outfit each side. Loading|unloading in few second.