1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crews

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lakesidesnow, Sep 27, 2011.

1. lakesidesnow

lakesidesnow Junior Member

We are looking to change up our operations by running a truck that consists of guys just doing walks. In the past shovelers/blowers have ridden shotgun too accounts and did walks while the driver did the pushing.We would be doing this in one area that we service about 20 commercial accounts and 4 different condo complexes. Does anybody run operations with a sidewalk only crew or have had any experience with it? Any input is apperciated.

2. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Around here we send out walk crews on their own found out we save money this way

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Been doing it that way from day 1. You will be much more efficient operating that way....and versatile.

4. lakesidesnow

lakesidesnow Junior Member

Thanks for the replys. Any other opinions?

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just want one or two just to show up let alone a truck full,lol. We've only had to run a crew of 2-3 sidewalk guys. I liked it when we ran 2 guys in a truck. IMO, it's safer and they seemed to get the job done a little quicker. BUT....you need the right guys to start with, I'm sure 2 guys can also B.S. a lot more and drag things out too. But if you have a large area where these guys will be for awhile then I think it makes sense to have them all together.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Account sizes/locations can make the difference on how your setup. I have never ran more than 2 guys in 1 vehicle. Most of them drive their own vehicle...and like it that way.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I do a little bit of each. Last year I had a truck that plowed 50% of the time, and pulled a trailer hauling around the sidewalk crew for the other part of the day. This year, I will probably have a truck mostly dedicated to sidewalks or smaller driveways with a 2 or 3 man crew.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I assume they are employees who drive their own car,but you might want to check with lawyer,even if they use their own car and get in an accident you are still responsible.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Depends...cant remember specifics right now (been a while since I first talked to my lawyer & ins agent about doing it this way)......but its not that cut and dry.

All but 1 of the guys driving their own vehicle, are driving to 1 area (2 HOA's down the street from each other) and working. And yes, these guys are employees...but they arent driving around from job to job. All my other walk work is handle by a 2 man crew in 1 of my trucks(employees), and a guy running solo in his own truck(sub).

10. HTI

HTI Member

We rent a cargo van from local rental company each time a storm is predicted and 2 guys go out with blowers and salt in the van. Worked out well last year. Didn't have to take up a plow truck for walks and the workers had a nice van to drive around in all night.