1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ptllandscapeIL, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I just trying to get an idea of what you guys charge per hour for a 3 man sidewalk crew,it would include 1 truck with 7.5 plow 2 salt dogg w/b spreaders 3 snowblowers and 3 men??? input would be grea

2. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

$45 per man hour for the guys shoveling or blowing, $40.00 per 50lb bag of ice melt they apply, and $75 per hour for the truck if they are plowing with it.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im wondering the amount of SQ feet per hour that you think they can cover?

those prices are a little high for my area

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

IMO

A side walk crew is great if ran the right way.

I dont see the crew needing a plow on there truck, thats just equipment that is not being used, and should be making you money. I there plowing then your losing money with the guys all in the truck.

Your other Equipment sounds about right, to work the best, the sidewalk crew should be at the lot before its plowed so they can get the snow off the walks so when you plow its out of the way.

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yep, minus the plow. unless you can figure out a way to keep all the guys busy all the time i would keep the plow off the truck.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

other wise they end up "playing" with it, trying to plow what they dont need to be

the best set up i ever saw was a box truck/tommy lift

they had like 5 guys, 2 atvs, single stage blowers, and 2 stage blowers , plus 2 full pallets of salt in this thing.... had every thing for every situation. whould even leave you free to pull a trailer, with a tractor or 2 on it

7. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yea indeed no plow needed

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well, my sidewalk crew also does driveways, so the plow helps out there. But if it's strictly a sidewalk crew, then yes, a plow would be waste.

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Right, I could maybe see that hows that work out?

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Real good for me. We do 20 drives that need to be done before 7:30 or so. Last year we easily got done with them in about 4 hrs or so. We'll see how it goes this year. But for now, that's gonna be my setup.

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah, the only thing I don't know about yet is how many guys I'm gonna have in the truck yet, but I get it figured out. Gotta see what kind of employees I can pick up.

13. ptllandscapeIL

ok Yeah thats what i have been charging,the reason for the plow on the truck,once they finshed commericla they go to residental,and we have cluster of homes so they do walks while the driver plows the drives works out well and no one is standind around,
    what do you guys pay your crew
    Labors-$15.00 an hour
    Drivers $20.00 an hour
    thats hwo i pay mine

14. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

depends on the operators any where from 10.00 all the way up to 25.00

15. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Are you Kidding! Those prices are actually on the low end for our area! They're OK if you really want the job and your raking it in on the push and salt! I'm only 2 suburbs from you Elite. I've bid jobs at those numbers, but it was 4 years ago. You don't want to be the low baller this year. Things are going to be ugly with fuel, salt and wait till you need guys to shovel and they ask for more money!

16. Snow Picasso

Hey Elite,

I have 3 accounts in Villa Park and 3 in Addison. Are you interested in doing some sub work? Let me know! Send me a PM

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you need to be charging in the $50/man hr or higher i would say. i pay my one walk guy $25/hr cash using his truck, so at $50/hr this leaves VERY VERY VERY little profit......and BTW i've tried to pay guys $15/hr shoveling and it doesn't work!

18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My sidewalk crew this year will be 2 guys, 1 small snowblower, 1 pallet of ice melt, a bunch of shovels, and a John Deere tractor with snowblower all on a pickup and 18' trailer. No plow on the truck and when they're done with commercials they will start residential drives.

19. Snow Picasso

I'm with Jay on this one. I tried 3 men @ $15.00 per hour. Didn't last to long! Now I pay $25 per hour and throw them a bone every now and then!

20. ptllandscapeIL

snow picasso,Whats the name of your company....

By the way these are my full time guys using my equipment the only guys i sub are plow drivers wiht there trucks