1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grassyfras, Jul 25, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras Junior Member

I dont want to put a plow on my truck or make the investment. I want to get a snow blower or two and maybe have a helper and only do sidewalks. Would being just a sub contractor work for something like this? I have no idea about how much to charge hourly since I have no idea how long it takes to do a sidewalk or how many hours ill be working. Im use to getting about 30-40 gross per hour for lawncare but Im under the impression snow is priced higher just because of the hours and elements??? Help me out guys steer me in the right direction
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hard to say without knowing location. Pricing is all over for plowing as well as shoveling. I'm not sure if you could get much if any more than $30-$40 per hour for sidewalks. You wouldn't have that much capital tied up in it, basically just some shovels, a snowblower and a spreader. By me, plowing subs can get anywhere from $25-$60 per hour. Of course, there are contractors that are only charging $60 or less per hour for plowing, but that's their problem.

But, if you were in my area and there weren't any problems reagrding liability of someone else handling sidewalks I would hire someone that wanted to do that in a minute.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Open the phone book and look under "Snow Removal". Just start calling them and asking if they hire subs. Bigger outfits even have whole crews that just clear sidewalks and salt them.
  4. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I worked for a couple of different plow companies that had sidewalk shovelers.. I say shovelers because they didn't use blowers. I only saw one group that actually used a blower and it was a small 3 or 4 hp single stage, nothing fancy and they walked pretty fast behind it. No drive wheels or anything. Fairly cheap and if it breaks, throw it away and get another.

If you're going to bid a job, I'd say go out and walk the sidewalks and time yourself. Just make one complete route around all the sidewalks. Then if the sidewalks are 3 or 4 feet wide, double your time, if 6 feet, triple your time. Then figure on another trip around to shovel at least one blade width away from the curb. When you offer your bid, let the plow contractor know you're doing that extra service so his plow guys don't have to try and squeeze along the curb. That means they can go faster and plow more.. You might want to add like 10 or 15% to your time for extra cleaning you may have to do.

Don't forget salting/sanding. You're dealing with the places people walk. People walking = slips and falls = lawsuits. Have the legal beagles look over your contract concerning slips and falls before you submit it.
  5. Hammond Welding

Hammond Welding Junior Member

plows for sidewalk

depending on what kind of mowers you have i build snowplows for them as in the larger hydraulic drive walk bhind ex-marks we use them in winter with plows on them so now we have a machine that can be used all year around and they work extremely well i will send you pictures if interested :)
  6. MickiRig1

I have seen sidewalk crews use a cement float / paddle to do the job.
    It's a 1" X 4" Oak board on edge with a handle attached like a garage broom with struts to each side. They use it like a plow to do side walks. No lifting or back strain. Deeper snow you just have to push it twice, but how many times do you see 4" + a year? Just be careful on bids so you make money and not just break even. Gas, salt and time costs money.
  7. Cutterzlal

Cutterzlal Junior Member

Looking for Sidewalk crew in Indy

Looking for 1,2 or 3 guys in the Indianapolis area to do sidewalks this winter. Contact me for more info.
  8. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

In some neighborhoods, people must maintain the sidewalk in front of their house. Sometimes, people really hate doing this---especially when they need to get to work or have jobs that require travel.

This might be an outlet for you to pick up some work. :)
  9. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Travel to MA??? :) I seem to remember someone else talking about this at one point last winter. I think it's agreat idea. I would love to fond someone that would do my shoveling for me.
  10. sharpercut

sharpercut Junior Member
    from MD

Can you send me a picture or post one in the thread? Thanks.
  11. MickiRig1

Some of the zero turn mowers have snow plows available for them. Some You have to make cutting edges for because the stock ones wear out quickly. We have a firm that does all the sidewalks at hospitals in town with them.