1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grassyfras, Feb 9, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras Junior Member

Is their a demand for a company to only do sidewalks? Thinking of just being a sub-contractor for a few plow guys only doin walks and pottasium chloride. I only have a half ton and dont want a plow on it.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Yea there is a demand. I worked on a "hand crew" for a company last year. Pretty much we just cleared all walks and stairs and in front of garage doors, then we put down magic salt from the bag with a scoop. It's a work out and be prepared for long hours.
  3. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

We are always looking for sidewalk crews. All of our sidewalk accounts are subbed, and someone that only wants to do these is most definitely needed. No plow driver wants to get out of their nice warm truck, and break their back, when they can be in comfortable clothes and out of the elements in a plow truck.

I'm sure you understand the physical wear and tear on your body during a snow event, not every job calls for a snowblower or a small plow of some sort, there are allot of jobs where a shovel is your only tool, be ready for it.

IMO it takes a special breed to do only sidewalk work, I'm only thirty years old and work on a farm in my spare time, and you know how difficult that kind of work can be, especially during hay season, but a shovel in my hand for some reason won't fit. I'd rather shovel animal dung than shovel snow in 15 degree weather.
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I know what you mean, I do alot of my own side walks, I dont mind the weather. It was kida fun at the start of the year when we got 2" or less events. But after doing them 2 or 3 times in a 4" event. Most of my walks are up town, like in front of postoffices and places like that. So theres old people and kids walking them all the time, there for they want us to keep then spotless.

When we had that 9" storm I could of omost kept a guy busy for about 8 hrs on one side walks. It takes tomuch time away from the truck when you have to shovle and salt walks. it isn't bad when its 2" or so that all on the ground, but when its a non stop snow storm its hard enought trying to keep up with your routes, not to even talk about keeping up with walks.

I'v been useing buddys, or high schools kids, that need to make gas money ride with the truck, they can do walks as you plow. it saves some time.

Nex year i'm going to either sub my sidewalks, or hire a crew of 2 in one of my trucks w/o a plow to do walks.
  5. grassyfras

grassyfras Junior Member

Good advice guys I appreciate it. What kind of hourly charge do these walks get? I know broad question but are we talkin $20 an hour or more like $100.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

When I worked hand crew I got paid hourly of $20 or I could take a salary of $3,000 for the winter regarless of how much I worked. I am smart I took hourly! Made way more than $3,000. What I will do when I plow is say I charge $20 to do a small driveway and then the house has a sidewalk out front and then the walk into the house charge $30 for shoveling, so charge $50 for a smaller storm. Only problem is plowing you can do per push with shoveling it will be a one time thing. So charge your regular per push and then add on a shoveling charge. Make the shoveling on the high side and state each one seperatly so you might get paid more because they want both done and since most plowers don't want to get out it might make it worth while to hope out for more money. If not they can still go with you on plowing and if they drop you because of the high price that is ok because they would probably be nit pickers anyways and there are plenty of accounts out there to get!
    Just my opinion
  7. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I usually bid around $40 /man hour, and pay my sub $20, and whoever works with him, something between 10 - $12/hour. I always need sidewalk people. I got lucky this year, by meeting someone from this site, and having him work with me.
  8. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I think there would be a great market. I passed up a couple of condo's this season because I don't have enough guys to shovel the kind of walks that they had. It is hard to find people that want to shovel every storm. I rotate my guys plowing and shoveling. I would inquire if I heard of a company out there that I could sub out my shoveling to. I think its a great idea.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have a side walk i drive the truck on :drinkup: