1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Crew....when to add?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by beanz27, Jan 1, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

When did you guys add a sidewalk crew, and what tools did you get them to start?
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

When we took on a sidewalk contract, 246 cat, utv, and shovels........
  3. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

After we picked up several large commercial accounts with side walks.
    Two guys with a pickup and a trailer, with a JD 2305 .
    There route commercial and residential properties with our average snow takes about 5 hours.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The first day I went into snow & ice work. Shovels & push spreaders.
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Good. Just wanted to see if I was the only one who did this.

Did you have your own or pay someone to use their stuff?
  6. Luke S.

Luke S. Junior Member
    from st.paul

Anybody ever use leaf blowers after a light dusting ?
  7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Sidewalks are a pain. Add as soon as you need to do walks. I can't see holding up a truck with a plow and salter to mess with walks. ROI is not even close.
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The guy who does my apartment does, in the time it takes him to do 1/2" on one walk I could have 3 done shoveling.
  9. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Used our backpack blowers today! 1" light & fluffy, 10* degrees out.

On sidewalk crew, depends on how much you can charge. It ain't cheep to run a crew with equipment. Our 2 man crew will run $1500/2500 per storm.
    As profitable as salt and plowing vs cost & investment on walks.
  10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

We had about a half inch this morning is was below freezing when the snow fell. Though it was sticky. Not so much to the concrete but to itself. It did not want to blow away that easy. Though it blew off of the wood deck a little easier.

Depends on too many things to count a using a blower. I have a BR600. Sometimes it works great though. Put to iffy to count on them to not have the shovels handy.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If your asking about shovels & spreaders....I had my own....2 or 3 little cheap $25 scott spreaders & some $5 suncast shovels lol
  12. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

We added ours when we got a few commercial accounts that want sidewalks done every event, but the lot only done at 1/2". But was a choice I should have made alot sooner. They save us a ton of time over having the drivers do them, Also i pay them less and they are easier to replace. Even a driver with a shoveler in the shotgun, Is not cost effective as the shovel sits at most apartments. They use very little gas as they only drive maybe 10 miles total.

They drive a Honda suv I picked up at a salvage auction, with a small trailer.

Mainly use Shindawa 8520 leaf blowers and toro single blowers, 48", 36" and 24" "the snowplow" shovels and a pair of 2 stage blowers for the big stuff.

My question is when do i get them a real truck and a small bobcat / sweeper :confused:
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

That's exactly out philosophy... that plow and salter siding there idling is losing money not producing. Sidewalk dedicated vehicles can be much better equipped so can the laborers doing the work, they can dress in more layers if needed whereas a guy plowing doesn't want to be all bundled up. Also dedicated sidewalk guys know what they're in for...a guy getting out of a plow truck tends to get whiny when he has to shovel
  14. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Yep! its quick too.Thumbs Up
  15. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Sidewalks are always our biggest problem. If we were in an area that received more regular snowfall then I would invest in the most productive sidewalk machine made just to eliminate some of the labor end. Musts would be enclosed cab, 4x4, adjustable plow with power angle optional blower or sweeper and affordable
  16. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Exactly what you need for sidewalks, except one problem. I have yet to see a machine that offers all that and meets your last requirement - affordable. I like the ventrac tractors - very pricey.
  17. Marek

Marek Senior Member

The Ventrac is a nice machine and so is the Toro that switches back and forth but I think you end up in the thirties for either. Other than those your back to 4 wheelers or front cut mowers. Our other big problem is how narrow the walks are on our buildings.
  18. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

Anyone use a Ventrac 3400?
  19. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

No and i am thinking you want to have a good bit of dedicated work to support that purchase along with a summer line up.
  20. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

Ventrac 3400

It will mainly be a sidewalk machine. I have a few large sites with over a mile of sidewalk that need to be cleared quickly. In the summer it will earn its keep with the field mower, but that's about it.