1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crew wadges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowmanben, Jan 5, 2010.

1. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I've tried searching the site all day but couldn't come up with anything, so I'm turning to you guys for help. I'm looking into hiring a person to do the walks for me and not sure what a fair wage is. I will be picking him up on the way to my first account and he will be using my blower and shovel. I do mostly residential in neighborhoods, so there is not a lot of walks to be done. I have one commercial that it is necessary for him to get out. The total time of the rout takes about 4-5 hours from the time I pick him up to the time I drop him off.I was think somewhere between $15-20/hr. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thnaks

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

15 with a 4 hour min seems fair to me.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

so your gonna pay a guy to ride ride around with you for one acount? seems like a waste of money.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's too cheap unless he's just a Joe Schmo.

If he's good, can spread chems right and is detail oriented he's worth $25.00 per hour.

5. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I pay my guys that do my walks around $20/hr. I usually start rookies around 17 or 18, someone that can lead a couple other others is worth $22-25. Shoveling sucks, if you want someone good....you have to pay good.

6. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

No I have a total of 9 accounts that he would have to get out and do and 2 that don't have walks. I have had potential customers call the last couple of years that I have had to turn down because I was doing it all myself and couldn't get it done in time. I would like to start to be more efficient and pick up some more accounts. Thank you for your input so far, I have known him for years and is a great worker and has awesome work ethic, and I didn't want to cheat him out of any $$.

7. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

We pay our shovelers

$25.00 per hr. and we think they are worth every penny.

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

25. pr hr for walks you ppl are crazy, i got a kid 2 yrs younger than me that i pay 8 pr hour, and for heavy storms he gets to use MY self propelled snowblower

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

15 round here but we gotta use mexicanos cuz kids dont work round here:help:

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

8 bucks an hour is alot to some 14 yr olds;)

11. ajslands

when i do side walks, i get 60 pr hour. and iam 17

12. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

I have a hardworking 30, 35 and 49 year old, shoveling for me @9.00/hour. which is more than most landscaper's throw around here.

13. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

wow!!!! Doctor's don't even get that much per hour. it's either you're lucky or smoking something.

14. ajslands

iam realy good friends with the guy that i was helping out, and hes loaded, 9' plow snow ex sp 575, 2010 f-250 3 exmark mowers 44"+, couple quad bikes, and alot more stuff for landscaping and tree work, but he recently sold his plow so he dosent have that any more,

15. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

$25 for shovelers, :eek: You guys are crazy. It's a shovel, come on. $15 is more than enough. Maybe I'll just come work for you guys for that kind of money. If your paying a shoveler $25, what the heck are you paying your drivers and equip. operators? Mexico's shovel all day long and are happy for $10-$15. Wow.

16. ajslands

well if i had a f 550, i would put a 10' V with wings on it,

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Not that you can't find guys for under $15 per hr, but I'd rather pay in the $20-25 per hr. and get some of the hardest working detailed guys out there. Would hate to lose an account because the $10 per hr. guy skipped the service doors or fire escape on the back side of a industrial building. You get what you pay for. Because we are in a weak economy, the wage has come down though!

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's pretty sad......how do expect anyone to survive on $9.00 per hour unless they're a kid living at home or illegal?

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

It is SAD...But, People would jump at 9 an hour in this day and age...Do you agree

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I hope you're only charging like $25-30 an hour then.