1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Crew Vehicle - Pictures and your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I had a 4 or 5 man sidewalk crew. They used two personal vehicles, so their was a two man crew and a three man crew. Their vehicles were insured for commercial work under my policy.

This year I will have 6 guys, and I want them in a company truck.

They need to transport a pallet of salt, big shovels, probably a 30" snow blower, and of course themselves.

What does everyone think of a 14' box truck/van??? I see many listed for under $5000, with high miles, but who cares.

I'm thinking I can throw in some bus seats in the box for the remaining 4 guys to sit down during the short commute between the next site, the route is all within 2 miles of the "base" parking lot.

Any experiences????
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4049116107.html ( Nice to have a ramp for blower)
    http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4101646213.html
    http://cnj.craigslist.org/ctd/4033902588.html

OR do I get a passenger van and remove some seats for the salt??
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/4086366357.html

box.jpg

00707_lASGODUNSjJ_600x450.jpg

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The idea is great and the vehicle is a good choice too.

Not sure about the seating. I bet you would have to have the newly installed seats inspected and some sticker put on them to say they passed some safety standard. I bet no company would pass that for you either. Nothing to worry about until they have an accident and one of them gets hurt.

What about finding a crew cab box truck.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. MatthewG

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would get a box truck over the van. I think the gas smell would be pretty strong.

The idea is great and your stuff is out of site while the guys are out of the truck.

6. MatthewG

All the big players around here have the box trucks, that's where I got the idea, cargo wise its more than perfect, just not so sure on the seating for a 4 or 6 man crew

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We have over 30 old penke trucks and work great for the sw crew. They even pull their skids (Bobcat463's). They act more like a supply truck with salt, shovels, blowers and so forth. Two guys ride with the truck, other drive to the job sites in their cars. With a two mile radius, I would have four drive in one car, two in the box truck.

8. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I was in this same situation last year. I ended up buying a GMC 3500 cargo van and HATED it. Could not get enough equipment in it without spending a half hour loading it perfectly. The van also was always stuck. Some of this was because of the drivers, some was because of the vehicle. This year we will be going to a 14ft box truck. Hopefully we can find one with a bench seat as we only run three man crews. I have had the same idea with putting seating in the back, however I think there is to much liability. If I was you get a box truck, you wont be happy with a van.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Used Chevy Suburban and a trailer?? Just a thought.

10. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Trailers are a good option too because they can be pulled by any vehicle in the event of a break down. Just depends on the accounts you have and what the parking situation is.

11. MatthewG

I talked to one guy who said too many guys in a box truck or van are no good, since its harder to spread the guys out, and essentially the driver of the truck/van just keeps doing laps to feed the shovelers the salt and then pick up and relocate the crew.

He has a valid point, I'm juts looking at convenience of having it all in one truck.

As far as seating his guys sat on up side down 5 gallon buckets and stacked salt bags, no seats

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

If it was just a big mall and all on 1 site I say box truck for sure.

I would be afraid of the liability if anything happened with the box truck on the road (even thou its just a short distance). Guys in the back on pails and salt bags. Man, a lawyer and judge would eat you alive.

Its a big "if something happened", but the "if" could be your future sitting in jail for the rest of your natural born life and your family screwed.

Do the right thing and sleep at night. Few bucks extra is cheap. Call it insurance on sleeping in your own bed (when its not storming).

I also like the box truck idea for summer projects to, but they just were not made to be crew movers. They are "stuff" movers.

13. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

What about izuzu Chevy crew cab covers with a box? Might be more buy no liability

14. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Buy a 1500 honda and have that be your crew car. We have an accord for this purpose and the employees borrow it when their cars are in the shop too.

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I seen one set up with 4 seats in the box that had seatbelts It was a Irrigation truck and it was legal
    It had its own room in the box sealed off with door to get in the rest of the box

16. MatthewG

This thing is on CL for $2400, I can always find another cheap rig and problem solved, except for the snow blower

I actually didnt get much sleep last night thinking about this....

01717_7kKUHQLsG9g_600x450.jpg

00f0f_2PiMWF8R5YQ_600x450.jpg

17. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

suburbans work, I owned one for a few years & took 4 shovelers in it along with myself & all the shovels,

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Perfect find on the Suburban! Use an open trailer not enclosed, and put salt pallet and blowers and shovels on it. I guess enclosed would work but its easier to unload from an open one.

19. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I'm trying to pick a vehicle that reflects the personality and work ethic of my crew , deciding on one of these, -

clown van.jpg

clown car.jpg

clown truck.png

clown car 2.jpg

clown car 3.jpg