1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk crew rig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ShadeScapesInc., Aug 7, 2010.

1. ShadeScapesInc.

ShadeScapesInc. Member
    from midwest

whats your sidewalk crew use as a rig?, I figure most use 4x4 pickups but was wondering what others use. have seen some using 2 wheel drive vans(3/4 ton and 1/2 ton) but still trying to figure out how they get around. I thought a cube van would be awesome but the 2 wheel drive is a hang up. you can get them in 4x4 but they are 3' off the ground.

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have seen a really nice 4x4 e-350 psd van :}

3. Premier

Premier Senior Member

We use a 88 s-10 4x4 hopefully we will upgrade this season to my wifes 01 chevy 1500. we use trucks so that they can have a plow to clean up at commercial places if they have to push the snow into the parking lot saves having to send a truck back if the lot is already plowed.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We started using Vans 3 years ago. First two years I used a 1/2 ton short Dodge, good parts were we loaded the blower in the side doors, ice melt in the rear, bad was being a 1/2 ton & short we couldn't get a full pallet in which ment picking it up with a plow truck bringing it back to the shop to load van/store extra, only carried 1 blower, luckily it never had issues. We now have a 14' cube van (former Penske rental) The good is you can easily carry a full pallet, walk around in back, the slide out ramp is just wide enough for our 28" blower wheel base (its actually a little narrow but works), lots of room, if we were to use our 4 wheeler we can fit it in, .bad in order to get the blower out it has to be loaded to tight against one side. We have always carried a strap, the 1/2 ton never got stuck, the cube they got stuck last year, but they had backed off the ashphalt on the grass & had a had time on the lip, a bag of ice melt & they got back up. That is with normal all season tires on both, I would like to put snows on as all we use the van for is snow but these seem to work fine. The biggest plus is the supply/equipment seem to be holding up much better, with the 1/2 to it stayed defrosted (no cab divider), with the cube I doubt the guys leave the door open though. For our current operation the cube is overkill, a 1 ton van would be perfect load two blower is side ice melt in back or vise versa depending on weight dist, but I bought the cube right.

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

The best that i've seen was one of those short PACE buses. It had the seats out of it and had the handicap lift for wheelchairs. Obviously used for the snow blowers and salt pallets. The best thing is take all but a couple seats out and you have room for equipment and a whole crew.

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

something like this one

Bus.jpg

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We're using a 6x12 enclosed trailer pulled by an employee's 4wd sport trac. Just big enough for a 4 wheeler with plow and spreader, 2 stage blower, single stage blower, push spreader, lots of shovels, and a fair amount of salt (although salt usually ends up in the bed of the sport trac for traction). Nice part about an enclosed sidewalk unit (trailer or van) is that everything is all in one place ready to go, including spare parts, fuel, etc. With a pickup, they end up getting loaded and unloaded every storm without in-door parking. Also, my costs are lower paying the employee to use his vehicle to pull our trailer versus having another insurance payment, etc on another vehicle.

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we use cube vans. all 2wd, never an issue.....especially when they are loaded with an atv, snowblowers, and a pallet or so of ice melter and rock salt. left over bags can just be left in there at the end of a storm, you can preload it, and park outside, salt stays dry. I can't say enough good things.

9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We use our summer crew trucks, crewcabs 2 and 4 wheel drive.

10. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Our Super Lawn Truck and beavertail worked great to transport men, equipment, and de-icer. Make sure you have good tread on your tires.

11. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

You can get a retired Ambulance w/ 4x4 on ebay and go camping in it in the summer.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If we were bigger into sidewalks I think those new Ford mini cargo vans would be an awesome set up. They have enough room to haul 2 snow blowers, at least 10 bags of salt, a few shovels and room for two, plus they are front or all wheel drive. Keeping stuff secure and out of the weather(as much as you can) like blowers,salt and other equipment would be huge.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

1/2 ton pickups for now, 1 w/ topper.....but have seriously considered the enclosed trailer & van ideas. Problem with trailers is you cant trust just anyone to pull one in good weather...let alone a blizzard.