1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Crew Productivity Rate and $$

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2500 LF of sidewalk at a certain site, one of the walks is 1650 LF x typical 4 foot wide

An ATV is best, but for estimating purposes, with a 4 man crew at $200 per hour($50x4), would 3 hours be a reasonable starting point for an entry level storm, 0-2" ?? Within that 3 hours they would also be expected to complete the sidewalk salting with bagged calcium and 1 or 2 walk behind spreaders.

For a 10-12" storm I always take my base price, in this case $600 and multiply by 4, as everything takes 4x as long ($2400)

Thoughts or Logic? Its a big sidewalk....

Thank you

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You're with Winter Services, and are asking estimating questions regarding a sidewalk? :confused:

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't see how that could take 3 hrs @ 2" with 4 guys. and I also don't think you could charge x4 or 12 hrs for a 10" storm. I guess it's hard to tell without seeing exactly what you are dealing with.

Some accounts we had the walks would be various widths, so Bobcat on the ones that are wide enough and snowblowers on the 4' wide ones. Doesn't really matter how much snow if the Bobcat could do it, but if your having to use blowers you definitely need more time on heavy snows. It can't be 4x longer though. Are you saying you're going to use an ATV if you get the bid? If so then just put a drop spreader on it for the salting. Basically, with that much sidewalk, you need to find a machine or machines that can do the walks in a timely manner no matter the snow depth. Those machines are usually quite expensive too. There are so many variables with sidewalks, hard to judge without seeing it.

4. velocicaur

velocicaur Junior Member

I don't understand why you wouldn't use an ATV or a snow blower? I don't think bidding shoveling rates and then using an atv or blower would be fair. Not to mention, competitive.

It's about a 1/3 of a mile and a 1/2 mile. An ATV going 8 MPH would be able to run up and down in 5 and 8 minutes respectively.

A snowblower running 3.5 mph would take 12 miles running up and down and 17 minutes respectively.

With a flat fee of say 100 dollars a push, you would make a killing and only need 1 guy and one piece of equipment.

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I feel 12 man hours for that job is too many. We do a set of walks that are 2500 LF also but most areas are at least 6' wide. Without looking at exact numbers from past seasons I know my 2 man crew does that site in about 2 hours with shovels and blowers including salt. Also there are no stairs at our location.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

^^^This^^^

~4000 lineal feet of sidewalk isn't huge especially if you plan on using an ATV.

7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe I am reading it wrong but I think all the walks combined are 2500 LF....1 section of that job is 1650 LF.

You may be correct tho

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

No, you're correct. I read it as 2 walks. So yeah, 2500' is nothing. An ATV will have that cleaned up in a matter of minutes.

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

.....:popcorn::popcorn:

Is 1600 or 2500l Lf a lot of sidewalk???.....Enough to justify a 4 man crew....
    I'm still a little Hung Over from yesterday...So maybe I'm wrong

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

?? I don't think he is the Winter Services you're thinking of.