1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk clearing question "AGAIN"

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Doin_It, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

I know I know....use the "search function".....I have. Some post's say 1 person can clear 1000' feet of 3' wide sidewalk/hour on a 2" snowfall. Another says 4100' in 1.5 to 3 hours (big spread in time there). Another says join SIMA to find out.....I'm just wondering how many feet per hour a person can clear on average using a snow shovel, 1" to 2"s, Trying to bid 3300', no mechanical possible due to steps, root damage/lifting on walks etc. Thanks.

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How many sets of stairs are there in the sidewalk? I can see up to 1500ft of 3ft wide sidewalk in an hour, but it depends on the person and what shovel they are using.

Stairs can throw a curveball into this depending on how many there are. I hate clearing big sets of stairs.

3. House2Home

House2Home Junior Member

I'd say save your back and let someone else do it! Shoveling sucks!

4. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would use a single stage snow blower & a shovel for something like that.

5. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Thanks for the answers so far. I screwed up on my measurements, as I had missed a whole section on the map they gave me on the other side of the street, my goodness, they would've loved that bid. They would've thought they went to Walmart heaven.

What I've got to bid on is 165 townhouse property. Presently we cut 70 commercial properties in the summer and plow 7 large commercial in the winter, approx. 16 acres of parking/yard and just over 400' of sidewalk. Only 9 steps to do, so as you see we're not up on sidewalks, etc.

This place has 8600' more or less of walks,(1.6 miles). Almost all have a 3 step landing to the door. Quite a few have 10 to 15 feet of walk then 2 steps down, bit more walk then a step down. A real mess. I went and had a look again, a bunch can be swept, so will have to find something that'll work. I'm thinking perhaps a JD X739 4x4 with a sweeper.

So any help on sidewalk shoveling would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it takes longer if the wind chill is 20 below than on a sunny day at 25....just things to consider....big factor is the people doing it!....

7. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

I hear ya, the cold shuts everyone down a bit.......

8. jhall22guitar

Whats your average snowfall? If the sidewalks aren't to bad a good one stage blower can work great. A site I worked on had brick sidewalks around the entire back of the storm that would take an hour to shovel. There were no steps, but a lot of bricks sticking up in places that slowed you down, but once you learned where they were after hitting them with the one stage blower a couple times you learned to pick the front up just enough in those areas, then could come back with a shovel later and get any excess, or hit it with ice melt. Plus a one stage isn't bar for a person to bring up/down stairs, get all the flat parts first then go back to stairs, will save a lot of time.

9. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

We average about 25 to 30 snow falls a season, of those 10 to 12 will be an inch or 2 the rest less. Odd time, we'll get more then the 2 or 3.

10. jhall22guitar

Then it sounds like the perfect job for one of those "The Snowplow" shovels. Never tried one but it sounds like it would work great for such small snowfall amounts!

11. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

My guys always have a backpack blower along as well. Works on the light and fluffy stuff. Also does a great job cleaning what a shovel leaves behind. Another thing to remember is it will take lots longer when the banks get high later in the winter

12. jhall22guitar

I forgot about backpack blowers, used mine a couple times this year with some of the fluff, best part is that its right to bare cement.

What about one of the ECHO handheld power broom attachments they have.

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I tried the power broom once with an inch of fluffy. The snow rolls over the broom so it doesn't work well

14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

1.6 miles and shoveling should never be in the same sentence.

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how wide are they?...where does the snow have to go?,....figures into the equation....may be 1.6 mi, but that's only if you walk in 1 direction,...it may be 3 or 4 when shoveling depending on backtracking,..if 2 people can work together well(that's the key), one on a shovel and 1 on a machine, 3rd person for salt