1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalk clearing devices-some ideas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 27, 2001.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I have some ideas as to how you could make some neat and interesting sidewalk clearers. Check out the scanned in pic below of some plans i drew. If you can't read the words in the bottom right corner, it says: The larger the wheels, the faster it'll go.

http://www.geocities.com/bush_hog_v36/sidewalkclearingdevices.JPG

What do ya'll think?
    Eric

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Just an idea...
    What if you started out with a shopping cart frame,then add your plow,spreader,and bigger wheels.
    You can easily find a old shopping cart to try it.
    Good Luck

3. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

LOL

You remind me of me when I was in middle/high school. My mother would snoop through my notebooks and all she would find were drawings of crazy ideas on dump trucks and trailers, etc. First off, pay attention in school!!!! Your education will make you more money than your snow pusher!!

Now on to the specs. It may work for light snow but once you get a couple inches, it will need more power than your butt and 2 feet! Maybe take an old snowblower or bushhog mower and mount a blade on the front?? Something like that.

Keep up the thinking though, you'll be able to come up with some good ideas!!

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Dave,
    did you read the stuff at the bottom? i said you could probably use an old tiller as a power unit, they have pretty low gears and all... when you said a bushhog mower, did you mean a rear mount tractor mower or my garden tractor?? if you read my signature i have a blade for that already, i was just thinking..
    i don't really think i am going to build one yet because i don't live in town and am just 13 so i can't really find a use for one, just had extra time and thought up some things that you all might find useful possibly.. you'd have to have some extra time to do something like this though. when i get older, i will snow plow and then i'd probably build one out of a tiller.. they would take less trailer space than a garden tractor and would be a whole lot cheaper, but you couldn't adjust the ground speed though. just a few thoughts..
    Eric

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

oh yeah and thanks for all the encouragement guys...

6. Mike Nelson

Guido ditto on the drawings,
    And I thought I was the only crazy one drawing sketches of plow trucks,tractors,loaders,etc...
    Nice to see other people are thinking also!
    If you can't afford a gas contraption,just look for a real big guy to push it!

Follow your dreams..

7. guido

BUSHHOGBOY

First off I hope you weren't being sarcastic about us encouraging you because we really are. I think its great that there are still some guys your age that are intrested in this industry as a whole, besides wanting to work!! We need more like you in this screwed up world where 8 year olds are shooting each other and blowing up classrooms, etc!! Keep up the thinking!!

And #2, when I said bushhog, I was being an un-educated city slicker!! I was talking about one of those 2 wheeled units that you can put a plow or a tiller or a brush mower, broom, etc on the front. Not sure what the real name for them are. Sorry! ;)

By the way, I think yuou should start a folder on my site and post your pictures there. Theres a few guys that work with me from the country and they love old equipment. Let me know if you need some help, just e-mail me!!

Good Luck!

8. Mike Nelson

BushHogBoy,
    A little off the plowing,but we do line striping with walk behind stripers.These stripers been around for years and only about 5 years ago has someone decided to make a motorized sulky for them.We don't have one yet,but stripes sure would go faster!
    The whole point is keep your ideas going,you are doing great.Good Luck

9. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

i am the same age as bush hog and I have always loved trucks, snowplows, etc. I enjoy drawing them and it is great that there are other people my age who like this stuff.

10. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

i think what Guido was talking about is made by Gravely.

11. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Guido,
    The two wheel tractors are usually called gravely's. We farm types call em fence mowers. Same things. To us Bush Hogs are 3 pt. rotary mowers. And swimming pools are irrigation system reservoirs :).

12. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

When I was a youngster (back when there were stones for wheels, LOL) I had such a contraption. It was only angled to the right and the frame was made of way too light weight tubing. That and I was really small in school, it didn't do very well. The powered unit sounds like the way to go... with a Gravely.

Bruce
    happy plowing

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

guys, i wasn't being sarcastic, i meant it. nice to know i am not too "abnormal"... Guido: what is your site and i'll post some pics sometime? Mike: i figure that it'd be cheaper for a gas machine than to hire a big guy.. around here we don't get much snow at a time, so i could easily push it myself... we're talkin about 4" is pretty good around here but we usually get about 2-3" and this winter it has been dry snow and cold which is unusual for here we usually get wetter snow. Plowguy06, nice to know there's someone my age on here interested in the same stuff..what are your messenger handles?? my AOL is bushhogtractors and my Yahoo is bush_hog_v36 get on sometime and we can chat.
    Eric

14. guido

BUSHOGBOY

Eric, just click on the little red house at the bottom of my posts to get to my website.

15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

bushhog boy, e-mail me, i got some info for you ,i hold 3 patents on sidewalk plows verry similar with trip springs and 1 has a mount for a troybuilt tiller. I have a few that i built for demos to try to sell the idea to a local company.

Guido, i have moved 6" of snow with minimal effort my blade is only 30"

[Edited by plow kid on 01-28-2001 at 01:56 AM]

16. guido

Plow Kid

You should post some pics too so we can see what it looks like.

17. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

i have AOL email and it is spotstep26.

18. Big Nate's Plowing

waiting on a photo cd

sure i will do that as soon as the film gets devloped, i dont have a scanner, thats why i am get'n a cd

19. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

20. Big Nate's Plowing

i am getting pics of those developed

i will try to upload pics of the first plans from ms paint, maybe i will buy a scanner monday

that thread was about the motorized ones , mine are push powered