1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidesteps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEXTDAYSIGNS, Aug 19, 2004.

1. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Sidesteps, nerfbars, whatever you call them. W hat are the best? I have a 03 2500hd ex cab. Do they cause any problems with plowing is their a brand or type to buy or not to buy? Any suggestions would be a help.

2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I put westin's on my 04 chevy ext cab sb. I went with the solid chrome and got them from PIckups Plus. Even though I had the truck last and plowed with it the bars were not on. Cannot help you there.

3. AJSheehan

AJSheehan Junior Member
    from Maine

I had a truck with the bars on it, the truck was in an accadent where it should have rolled over, but my guess is that the bars kept it up-right. since then I have put the bars on all of my full size truck and recomend others do the same.
    I also know someone who has them on their truck that they take off-road and they say that they have blocked many stumps from ruining the cab.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I prefer the bars to the side steps. I have the gm crome over stainless on my black 03 2500hd. Functional and they look sweet. No problems. Dont seem to trap mud and sluch like the steps do either.

5. trukoutftr

trukoutftr Junior Member

We sell and install hundreds of nerf bars. What brand depends on how much you want to spend. We mostly sell ICI and Raptor stainless steel nerf bars because they are 304 stainless. I have had much success with them on all our company trucks. They protect your doors, stumps, blocks of snow and ice from damaging the truck. I ran last year with them on and pushed a 24" snow in charlotte and was pleased with the protection they provided when windrowing.

The ones you don't want tto buy are GoRhino, Smittybuilt, Grizzly, or Quality S. They have a terrible finish problem and have actually seen the plating peel off.

6. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Well just had the westin platinum side steps put on. They look great lets see how they hold up.

7. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I have black westons on the F-150, and this damn F-250 is way higher and needs them before I pull something getting in.

I went with black. Chrome seemed like too much bs to polish all the time. Plus my trucks usally have mud half way up the sides so the color does not matter to me.

8. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

I've got kodiaks on my f350, they are cool, but a little expensive. They tuck up out of the way, then when you open the door they fold down electronically. Close the door and back up they go. they never get mud or snow or ice on them because they tuck up high unless the door's open.