1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sideboards for Hiniker Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grampa Plow, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Just bought a SS Hiniker spreader and am planning on putting an extra light on the back so when I'm spreading I can see better. No problem there. But I have seen multiple people putting rear and side boards on their spreaders to be able to take a little bit of an extra load and to prevent spillage when carrying a full load.. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? How do they work? Cost to make them? 2008 2500 HD. I tried a search but didn't come up with anything.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

OK James!!!

3. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

I know you were going to say that!! I'm not talking about 8 foot sideboards and 30,000 lbs on the truck.

4. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Whats wrong with James' spreaders? So they have a lil more capacity, smart thinking if you ask me. Anyways there are a set of spreader extentions on ebay, I think they are for a air-flo spreader but all they look like is 4" channel iron. I also saw a guy use 2x12's.

5. bossplowguy

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

boss

you build those extensions for james dont you?

i like the size of them as to not spill in the truck when your loading but you can get way to heavy fast also

7. bossplowguy

No I don't, he approached me about them and I said no, they seem like a pita to build. I could do it.....just don't feel like it. I agree about the weight issue, especially with Pauly running around in his new blue truck that needs to be paid for.:gunsfiring:

8. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

I ppreciate the site info...I was thinking about trying to have them made myself and then have some rebar or something bent into a 1/2 moon to keep the snow off of the tarp! I watched one of his trucks pull out of a drive and rock back and forth so much I thought it was going to tip!! He must be using airbags!

9. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

Anyone have any idea how much the Hiniker sides are compared to what they can be made for?

10. bossplowguy

Yes....all his trucks have air bags

11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we had stainless steel pieces welded to the sides on 3 of our salters and then built a plywood cube to fit inside. had one in the back of a 03? 2500HD, not necessarily a good idea, leads you to believe you can put a lot more weight in than you should, the tailgate doesnt go on the truck anymore because the bed is bent.....another we have in the back of a 3500 Smalldumper, works fine, and the other on a F350 flatbed, works fine.