1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Side Walks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mspencer64, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mspencer64

mspencer64 Junior Member

hi guys looking for a little advise. I am biding on a large mall with a ton of side walks. What machine are you guys using to do side walks?
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am going to help you because I am board and wish its was November.

1.Welcome to PS

2.It would help us greatly to know more about these tons of sidewalks. How wide, how long, places to put snow, average event, ect...

3.You have posted in the equipment pictures area and this will likely be moved.........IF MJD isn't too busy correcting the kids in the off topic non SE MI weather thread. :laughing:

4.What kind of budget do you have? Cause these guys can spend so money!

Good luck and welcome! :waving:
  3. mspencer64

mspencer64 Junior Member

I see you guys are going to rip me apart LOL

4 foot side walks and I would say at least 3 miles of side walk.

budget 15Kish.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

$15k for just the sidewalks? Or the machine?

They are 4' wide or they aren't?

Average snowfall?

Average trips?

Not ripped apart, you just didn't provide even close to enough info to receive any help.

Because no matter what people say, there are such things as stupid questions.
  5. Bossman 92

So far so good here Thumbs Up

Since your location is blocked we must also add that if you are in the Phila PA area you can charge somewhere in the 30-70k range for said walks. This is of course billed for a 2 day storm.
  6. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok guys, how about trying to give the new guy some decent advice rather than "scaring him off" and derailing yet another thread...you guys do know that you can choose to skip over a thread and don't "have" to respond just to stir the pot

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Don't forget to include the 1 ton of salt for every 250 linear feet of walk and 16 pieces of equipment.......
  8. Bossman 92

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

In order to give advice......You need a little information first.....I don't think "ATon" of sidewalks clears that up....Snow Removal is a Business. When bidding jobs i get a little more specific than that....:dizzy:
  10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures would help.
  11. mspencer64

mspencer64 Junior Member

I believe you guys are making this a more difficult post than it really is. All I really asked was what you use on side walks. Of course your not going to drive your F250 down a side walk. a UTV or ATV or a designated snow machine is what I was thinking, but I see you all are bored and have nothing better to do beside pick at people that have simple questions. No need to respond, but I do appreciate the ones who tried to help.
  12. Mark Oomkes

No one is making it more difficult than it needs to be, except you.

"A ton" of sidewalks means nothing.

Sidewalk clearing can be anything from a shovel to a $100,00+ Trackless. And anything in between.

If you can't articulate your needs, then you are already in over your head.

And if you get pissy because people want more info in order to help you, then don't expect serious help.
  13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The best low-cost sidewalk machine I've ever owned was a JD F932 with a 66" blade. It could do miles of sidewalk each hour...especially if the operator didn't have to get out to shovel around obstructions.

You could get into a machine like that for about $5k.

Edit: Here's a video of it in action that I took a couple years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45npk6dDSio
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  14. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

2 things, first, before I traded my f250 for my current f550, I had two accounts that I DID JUST EXACTLY THAT. DROVE MY TRUCK WITH 8'STRAIGHT BLADE UP ON WALK AND LET HER RIP. It was the perfect width for the walks, and it turned a 45 min ordeal with a single stage blower at one of them into about a 5 min job. Second, I use a Honda 721 single stage blower now on my walks, but only because the 550 DRW with 10.5' V blade won't fit. Hope that helped. Oh yeah, welcome to P.S.
  15. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If you'd bother to read, he said 4 ft wide x 3 miles in his second post. He also simply asked what you used. Penalty box for you.
  16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I really wanted to see that video....
    I agree the front mounts will do a ton of work for low cost and versatile with summer attachments as well, not as speedy at grass but they'll do the job.
  17. Mark Oomkes

I did read it. Before casting stones, you should probably try taking your own advice. My first post acknowledged the width of the sidewalks.

IMO, he still didn't provide enough info. Will they need to be cleared once a year or twice a day?

Is that 3 miles straight? Or are there are obstacles? Stairs? Is there enough room to get rid of all the snow if it never melts?

How much snow annually?

Just a few questions that need to be answered.

Guess if I received the penalty box, you're ejected from the game.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  18. jhenderson9196

Let's see, he said 4 ft, you said " 4 ft or they aren't?" He was not ambiguous, you were needlessly argumentative. Penalty for you. He said 3 miles. He didn't mention obstacles. Not mentioned, no need to address the issue. All he asked for were options for equipment,not a tutorial. You weren't satisfied , had to try to make him look small. Penalty for you. I rubbed your nose in it and you don't like it. Makes my night.
  19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

How about we think about this for 2.2 seconds.

How is the no mention of obstacles something that doesn't need to be addressed?

A 4 foot wide sidewalk in a perfectly straight line for 3 miles is going to require a lot different equipment than a 4 foot wide sidewalk with parking meters set in the concrete 1 foot back from the curb. That same sidewalk with multiple step level changes is going to be even different from the above.

There's a million possibilites. Without all the information, how in the world would anyone be able to tell what equiment would even begin to work? The first example, Camden's front mower would work great. The second, it would do alright but require additonal support for around the meters. Third example, how do you intend to do the steps with a damn front mower?

Close your mouth, open your mind. Let the OP describe better his sidewalks that need cleared before you tell us that you have enough information to tell him what to use. Because unless you have the power of mental telepathy, you've got very little more idea then some drug lord in Mexico what he needs to use.
  20. jhenderson9196

He asked what others used. I'd start by answering the question and explain why I chose that equipment. You can be helpful whithout belittling someone whose starting out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.