1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

side walk ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowman55, Oct 5, 2010.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

anyone blend their own? after a ton of research have found most products are 80% salt, and I have not been happy with price vs effectiveness. this year I am gonna try and blend my own with salt, cacl, mag, and mda anyone else have experience doing this?

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I've done some of my own blending, 90% salt, 10% calcium. Works good, but it's a PITA. Been thinking about getting a cement mixer to mix it more easily then dump it into buckets. Last year I started doing clearlane in buckets instead and it works nearly as well, and saves a good chunk of change.

Problem with most pre-packaged products is they're either 99% salt, or they've got a bunch of junk filler in them such as potassium. They're all over-priced on top of it.

3. snowman55

looking for a higher quality product than clear lane. it comes real chunky. also looking to add some corrosion inhibitor as well thus the mda. went thru 20 tons of bagged material lost year so I will be mixing a pretty large batch.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I can definitely understand wanting something more potent than clearlane, we were using it down to about 10 degrees, then switching to calcium. I never had an issue with the clearlane last year, never saw a single chunk and it went through even the cheapo sidewalk spreaders just fine. I'm assuming you were getting it from US? Did you get any last year? I believe when they first started dealing clearlane, they were spraying it themselves, but now they're buying it pre-treated, so perhaps that could have been the issue you had with chunks depending on when it was.

5. jeff70

jeff70 Junior Member
    from Mass

side walk treatment

What is the best thing to use on concrete sidewalks calcium cloride pellets?or salt straight? last year bought bag calcium from depot but gonna have bulk salt this year?What would you do, have option to buy clear lane too on the salt

6. bharkness

bharkness Junior Member

Have you tried using liquid it works and dosn't leave a mess and safety in not a problem, you can put it down before it snows and it's good to -25 below.

7. snowman55

liquid just seems to be a logistical nightmare we use 20 ton on many sites and putting a liquid set up in 20 trucks and keeping it stocked would be a big undertaking

8. kevhead20

kevhead20 Inactive
    from Chicago

Is pre-wetting your salt stockpile now an option? You wouldn't need a liquid set up in any of the trucks.

9. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I would agree. I bought my first liquid system last year, and loved the concept of it so I bought a second larger one. I make my own brine, then pack it in totes 80% full. This way depending on the temperature and conditions I can add Liquid Calcium Chloride typically 10% but up to 20% to the tote and I'm ready to go. My smaller unit cost me around $2200 to have a guy on here build for me. My larger one had a much larger tank, and hose reel for doing sidewalks. Just another tool for the toolbox!