1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Side to side plow problem

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by guysplower, Jul 13, 2014.

1. guysplower

guysplower Junior Member
    from NW PA

Hello, I would love some help figuring out why my Western Plow (unimount with isolation module electrical system) jerks when I try to move the plow left or right. At first, it began to just move slower, from side to side, along with a high pitch noise. Now, it also jerks (but still moves left or right).
    thanks in advance!
    ed

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Need to change filter and fluid flush. May have crap moving thru system.

After that, if it continues, start checking solenoid/valves

3. guysplower

guysplower Junior Member
    from NW PA

thanks so much olddogtwo. this is helpful. I always refer to the manual with stuff, but I find that the forums are usually better for identifying and prioritizing problems. thanks so much!

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Like as in how? Like the motor running and the plow dosent move then does? What happens if you only raise tbe plow like 2" off the ground and try it again?

5. guysplower

guysplower Junior Member
    from NW PA

plow issue

thanks for responding Diesels, the plow does go back and forth, off the ground. It moves much slower than it used to..and, it sort of jerks as it moves from side to side...not a smooth movement. Two other questions I have for you, and/or for anyone.....1) can I use the same filter over again, as in the older plows? Can't I simply clean, and blast (with sir) an old filter out, and reuse? 2) do you see any problem with using Dexron III auto transmission fluid in the unit if the temp where I am using the plow isn't below minus 10 degrees? I mean, regular plow fluid is very expensive !
    thanks so much!
    ed

6. dieselss

So the filter is more of just a strainer. Unless it is broken, or ripped I never replaced them. Just brake cleaned and aired them off
    As far a plow vers tranny fluid. You can use tranny. It would be better with the plow fluid tho.
    Have you cked the fluid tho? Is it full?

7. guysplower

guysplower Junior Member
    from NW PA

diesels, I will recheck fluid to be sure it is full. thanks for the info on the filter. where do you do your plowing? what part of the country?
    thanks
    ed

8. dieselss

Remember to lower the lift ram before you ck Chicago area

9. guysplower

guysplower Junior Member
    from NW PA

thanks olddog and diesels. This plow works like the day I bought it (back in '06). both of you helped me get to the bottom of this plow movement issue and fix it myself. It was a filter problem really...just blew it out with Brake stuff, then blew it off with air. I got most of the junk off, but it didn't all come off, even with some pretty serious pressure, and a bit of scrubbing with a very fine brass fiber wirebrush. I drained/changed the fluid...took your advice diesels, and stayed with regular plow oil. and I drained with lift arm retracted. alot of help from you guys!
    thanks again!
    ed

10. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

This is true. I've learned so much here from the guys with experience.

11. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

If it happens again start replace the packing on all the cylinders and the lifting ram as the plows get older the packing wears out