1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Side to side ok, up only ok for 2hrs

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LVHardscape, Jan 28, 2011.

1. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

Western 8ft Pro Plus, ultra-mount
    Joystick controller

Side to side controls are always ok. Up control is great for about the first 2 hours of plowing. Then after two hours it starts to get slow. By hour 6 or so it just doesn't go up anymore. Even when this occurs, side to side is great.

If i stop plowing for a little, or drive from one building to another, it usually works fine for about an hour, then will start acting up.

Fluid level is perfect, and it's the blue fluid.
    Highly doubt anything electrical as the motor still runs and you can get the plow up if you repetedly push the up button, like 20+ times, it'll inch its way up. As of now anytime after about 6 hours i'll just drive into a pile and let the plow ride up, then push the up control. it works great when there's no load!

I'de like to know whats causing this before i start throwing parts at it. i've ready a bunch of the threads on here, people seem to be greatly helpful so i'm looking forward to your help!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

Just thought of another wierd symptom,

When it first will start acting up, i'll try to lift, it'll only go half way up, so i'll drop it and then it'll go all the way up.

its like the pump is getting cavitation, then when it sits for a little the air works its way out, but like i said above, the fluid levels are ok.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sound like your pump is getting weak. you can turn the pressure up with a minor adjustment. download the manual from westerns site.

4. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

Just downloaded it, thats the only thing i could think of. I'm going on monday to get a new edge for it, gonna see how much the pump costs.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i would adjust pump pressure before buying a new pump.

6. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

i can't find that in the manual. i found the section for the drop speed using the quill, but i can't find the instructions for pump pressure.

7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Instead of the owners manual look in the mechanics guide.
    Better info there....and clearly explains what to do.

Did you actually test the pressure?

8. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

will download mechanics guide now, no i have not tested the pressure yet. its hard to trouble shoot since it only does it after it's been four hours or so of plowing.

Since the pump runs, i tend to believe its something with the lift cylinder coil.