1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Side Mirror question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nor'easter1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Ok guys here it goes. i have 2 08 f350 xlt 5.4 gas trucks. When I bought them I totally forgot to look at what mirrors were on the trucks. They both came with power mirrors but the small ones like you would see on a Taurus. No good for backing up so I bought two sets of aftermarkets from AM parts that were say round with top and lower glass pretty nice, and they hooked right in to the power mirror controls no problem. Know however I would like to upgrade again to the big square ones with heated mirror which would be such a luxury plowing. My question is how to do it since there is no switch on the dash for heat to the mirrors if I put them on would they be in heat mode all the time or would I need to fabricate a switch to activate them. I feel like an idiot purchasing over $100,000 in new trucks same day and not getting the right mirrors back in 08. Any help would be great as I believe there are also marker lights on the side would they need a switch as well.
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

the wires should already be in the plug on the truck end and they should come on when the defroster is on
  3. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Send a pic of the mirrors you have now,please...If you are interested in selling them! thanks.:salute:
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i just did that upgrade to my 03. 11 mirrors. the wiring for the parking and turns wasnt super hard, but not the easiest i have ever done either. i did have to get new connectors, and a switch for the heated option. i can get you all the info if your still interested
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i put heated mirrors in my 02.
    the hardest part was getting the wire through the door harness to under the dash.
    took me about 6 hours for the total job from start to finish.
  6. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Thanks guys what ever info would be great. I guess I'm still a little confused is it as simple as buying the replacement and boom they run when defrost is on or is it a bunch of wiring to make the heat and side signal work ,like I said how I over looked this on purchase day makes me feel light a fool but then again two brandy new trucks with shinny xblades must have blinded me.
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well the chances that there going to be plug and play,,doubt it. pull the door panel and see how many wires you have for your current mirrors, and the connector style. compare to the new ones. i went to frost fighterto get there timed switch. and you can find connectors on ebay, waytek tektron or rpw.
  8. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

That is how it's on my fathers 06 f350 for sure. On my 2010 xlt diesel dump work truck there is a button on the dash under the radio for it. 99% positive.