1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Side lighting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OceanTrvlr, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I started plowing roads for a local town last winter and found myself wanting more light. I'm thinking about installing temporary floods on the outside edges of my BackRack, pointing forward and back. Forward lights may help seeing the edge of the road (mailboxes, etc) and the aft lights might help me see how snow is rolling off the plow. I was thinking of fabbing up little aluminum brackets for the lights so that everything can be clamped on or removed quickly.

I see specially aimed lights on the municipal trucks but I've mostly noticed the lights illuminating the sand spinner or pointing down at a wing or belly plow.

Has anyone added side lights on a smaller truck?

2. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt recomend rear facing flood lights going down the road, drivers may have some trouble seeing....strobes or other emergency lighting is fine rear facing

4. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

throw like 10 tir3's on it an call it a day

5. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

When I plowed roads we had a yellow light on the back pointing down. We used yellow so it wouldn't be so bright in people's eyes. As far as the front, I didn't have any aux lighting, other than on the plow frame. Wait, I take that back, I had a light on the right side I could turn on and watch the wing. All the emergency lights seemed to light everything up good too. I had a pretty big yellow rotary type, that one probably made the most difference.

6. Thanks for the suggestions. Mystic, I'm not sure why I would want any more flashing lights. I use a single small LED beacon from ABLE2 which provides plenty of warning and fulfills the town's requirement for warning lighting. I think you misunderstood my question.

As far as blinding other drivers, where I plow there are almost never any other cars on the roads when I'm plowing, so there's no one to blind. Also, I plan on mounting an easy to reach switch so I can shut the lights off if necessary. Also, any rear facing light would actually be pointed down at about 45 degrees to illuminate the ground near the side of the truck.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

7. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Angelos had some work lights on sale last year for under $10 if you bought so many. I think I got a dozen. Use them for our sweeper trucks, backup lights, and will be putting some on the new dump bed on our F450. Work pretty good and if you break one you are not out much.

8. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I would try it. set them both up on seperate switches, if they don't work the way you want you can take them off. The rear light you could make a mount to fit on top of the bed rail pointing down and back. That way you won't blind the people behind you.Take a look at the Hella ultra ff work lights, they are small enough that I installed as back up lights on our trucks.

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would do some experimentaion before you mount it, i have a truck with a really nice set of take down , and alley lights... Almost never use them, with the light beign very close to the drive, it gets anying and hard on your eyes. we hang rear lights off the bumper, away from the driver, so it will illuminate what you need to see.,, whats dirrrectly behind you. hanging them on the backrack, lights up the bed of your tuck, and little to were you acctually need it. - JMO