1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sickest Chevy truck EVER!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

whoops, how do I delete one of these double posts?
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. Detroitdan

I just saw the sickest Chevy truck imaginable. I've been hearing about it being built for a couple of years. Was at a shop a little while ago and the owner was telling me it was done and he'd seen it, when lo and behold, the truck came pulling in. Wish I'd had a frickin' camera with me. This truck was built by a guy who does tractor pulling with a 5 engine Massey, and he builds blown alcohol racing Hemis. He also owns a fabrication shop and is pretty well respected for his skills.

So here's what the truck is: 80 something 2wd 454 automatic. Big deal you say, right? Well, shut up, I ain't done yet. It has a custom fiberglass dually bed, 4 link, tube chassis rear, 14 bolt locked 3:73 dually rear, and since he apparently had one laying around, the gear box from a pulling tractor, the kind that lets you marry two engines together. The 454 is just for driving around (it's street legal), and for getting the truck into motion. Shortly after launching, he steps on the left throttle pedal which winds up and engages engine number two through a 3 disc slip clutch setup. Did I mention engine number two? It's a 569cubic inch Hemi, 11.5 compression, 16-71 blower running on alcohol. It sits in the back just ahead of the rear wheels, facing the wrong way. He says the truck is laying down a total of 2600 horsepower.

Just had it certified through IHRA, has only got four runs on it and is working the traction bugs out. Full throttle 454 launch, 1/4 inch of throttle of Hemi got him a couple of 12.2 quarter mile times at 110 mph. Tried a tad more Hemi throttle, smoked the tires up and went sideways at half track. Let off the Hemi, kept the 454 open and got it straight, ran a 12.2 at 126. Personally I don't see any way he's going to make the thing hook up and go straight with another 2000 horsepower on tap. And the aerodynamics of a, well, of a Chevy pickup. Although he is working on a wing to try to plant the rear end at speed. Apparently at 125 it gets squirrelly.

On paper the truck has a nominal top speed of 193 mph. He's only getting hold of about 600-800 of his horsepower, so God only knows what sort of a 1/4 mile time it could be capable of. Maybe 6 or 7 seconds? They only required him to have a cage, helmet, firesuit and fire suppression, but I wonder if he'll need parachutes.

No plow, no trailer hitch, not even any provision for carrying a load, so all in all a pretty useless truck. But you gotta hand it to the guy for his cleverness and fab skills. The truck is a one of a kind beast, and the baddest a$$ thing I have ever seen. And I've seen some things.

I know, I know, THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!. You don't even need to tell me.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

where are the pics:confused:'

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if hes goin 7 secs i would def recommend a chute prsport
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like he needs to hook up with someone in drag racing for some help.
    power is useless if you cant get it to the pavement.
    sounds like a badd azz truck though.
  6. Detroitdan

The Hemi ate the 454 and the turbo 400. Not sure exactly what happened, something to do with the 2000 rpm stall converter? I guess the 454 didn't like a sudden 7200 rpm punch, and the valve train bent and folded some valves, before grenading the bottom end.

Now he's talking about putting a 4.3 V6 in it instead. No idea why, maybe he thinks he can build it to take higher rpms than the big block? Really don't know what he's thinking. The front engine is really only there to get the truck in motion, but I'd think the V6 would let go faster than the 454 did. But what do I know, I only run one engine at a time.
  7. VBR

VBR Member

Maybe 6 or 7 seconds? They only required him to have a cage, helmet, firesuit and fire suppression, but I wonder if he'll need parachutes.

It wont go 6 or 7. Its way too heavy. My mustang is 2400lbs with a touch over 900hp and i am running 8.93. For my cars weight it takes about 88hp to drop each .10 of a mile an hour.
    If his truck is 4500lbs (most likely heaver- it is a dully) he would need 4150hp to run a flat 6. As for the parachute he would need one if he is faster than 150 in the 1/4 mile and two if he is faster than 200.

Also No way a 2000 stall converter will work. Mine is 5600 stall.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  8. VBR

VBR Member

He needs a powerglide (2 speed) as well. With that much HP, the 2 to 3 shift in a th400 would be pretty violent.
  9. Detroitdan

It is probably not 4500 lbs. It's a regular cab and nose, with a hand made fiberglass bed that weighs nothing, 1/2 ton frame up front with tube chassis in back. Only thing dually is the rear wheels and rearend. Still don't know why it's got dual wheels, he told me he didn't want to run street legal slicks because he thinks they are too far away from the streetable aspect of it. Of course, he has no bed to carry anything either, so why he needs duals is beyond me. Reminds me, next time I see it I want to check the speed rating on his rear Goodyear Wrangler 10 plys.
    He also told me he is afraid of throwing a wheel weight. I told him I use the "equal" type stuff inside the tire and it works great. He says he is suspicious of it because it is moving inside the tire and causing friction and wear. Like the plastic beads are going to wear the tire faster than asphalt is wearing the outside? Guy has to be the dumbest genius I know.

As for the stall speed convertor, thats for the 454, not the Hemi. The Hemi is going through a clutching system. Problem was driving the power back through the tranny and over-revving the 454.
    900 hp in a 2400 lb car is not really comparable to what he's got for power. He's got three times the horsepower, and only a little more weight. But like I said, it ain't every going to hook up like a purpose built drag car.

Shoot, even a huge Acme rocket strapped securely to the back of a coyote on roller skates has no chance of success. Theres no stability, and no control at launch. Always ends up with a black, smoking crumpled up coyote.

I don't see the truck running 6 or 7 either, I just said it may be capable of it. Like on paper it could do it. Too many variables, and I just don't think he's ever going to get it hooked up, unless he turns it into an honest to god funny car.
    But I really think he's going to fail. Still a cool truck to look at and talk about.
  10. VBR

VBR Member

Hopefully he can make it hook at the drag strip. Anyone can build gobs of power but the science in it is traction. You said he put it sideways at the track. Thats a big pet peeve of mine, when people put in more power than their can can handle, thats how people get killed drag racing.
  11. Detroitdan

Exactly, that's why all these AWDs are spanking otherwise fast cars. I've watched stock AWD Audi's and Volvos with turbos flat outrun big inch muscle, at least to the 60 foot line. No tirespin and they're across the 60 foot line before the front tires of the hot rod come back down.
  12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That is a lot of power but it will never be very quick. Too heavy and weight transfer isnt there so traction is a huge issue.
    My vette does just over 1200hp to the tire and ~980tq and cant it wont go better than 9.41's because of traction issues