1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sick of riding with heat on full blast!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Plower845, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

I have a 08 ram 2500 with 6.7 diesel. I run a 8 foot straight blade fisher. Since i have put the plow on a few years ago the truck will run real hot if i dont put my heat on full blast. It drives me nuts. I do have the snow plow prep and told the dealer about it and they couldnt give me a answer. Anybody else have this problem or know of a way to fix it?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

put a new clutch fan on it or put on a fan that has no clutch

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

How hot is real hot? 210 220 ?? Is it really that hot or just what the gauges in the dash say. Have a scan tool hooked up for live readings and see what it really is.
    Have the fan clutch checked. It is also has electric lockup controlled by the ECM.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

What he said. My dodge does the same thing above 65. If you turn the engine off and spin the fan with your hand youll see how easy it is to turn. the clutch is worn out and teh fan is not spinning as fast as it is supposed to be. its about a $30 fix

5. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

the faster one goes the hotter it gets , its the same for everyone, blizzard offers a little scoop that sits above their blades to re direct a stream of air into the rad, clutch hub or scoop or slow down

6. birddseedd

Do those work? I asked this question some time ago and someone said they got one and it didn't help none

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

we run 5 blizzard blades , im the only one that can get away without one , but if I get on the highway and get up to much over 100kmhr I can just watch the gauge climb, the sterling we run cant climb no hills at anything close to highway speeds at all without one , they cure the problem for the blizzard blades guaranteed, the blizzard ones are just 2-3 inches above the blade and they stick forward of the blade maybe 3 inches too and that's all it takes to push some air through the rad

8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I can hear my fan kick in too when it is getting pretty warm , the gauge just keeps climbing til the fan kicks in, but it doesn't even help, its speed related , Im dead level flat and just the speed creates a vacuum or what ever it does, and the only way to cool is drop down to 55 or put the scoop on

9. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Put the truck in snow plow mode, it kicks your fan in sooner. My truck (2010 cummins) runs 200-210 while plowing.. It runs those temps during normal driving so I don't get concerned.

http://www.cumminsnewsletters.com/td/td28_snow.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

How do you do this? Not sure mine has that option

11. maxwellp

I still think those who are running hot have a problem, fan clutch or something. I can drive 65mph with out running over 190 F.
    Unless it is over 20 F I have 80% of the radiator blocked off or I can't keep it warm. When I first got it it did run 200-205. Put in a new fan clutch, thermostat and water pump. Runs 180-188 F on the programmer and the dash gauge.

The electric fan clutch is a little more than $30 try around $270-400 depending on what brand.

12. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

With ignition on, not running, pull and hold your cruise control switch, while holding the cruise control switch back press your exhaust brake button twice then release the cruise button. Do this 4 times total and there will be a chime. It works on 08+ 6.7 cummins.

To turn off plow mode, do those steps again. I never need it so I've never personally used it but know people that do.

13. birddseedd

Your right. They have weak fans. Just don't know it because a weak fan doesn't make much difference if your rad is not blocked. Heck. Small cars if had would run without a fan of I didn't stay still too long

Is nice to see a few getting use out of the scoop. I would like to see a link to the one they use

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

OP - Ignore every post in this thread except the two below. This will fix your issue. The 6.7 runs much hotter than the 5.9's did as well.

15. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

That doesn't make any sense at all, if im running empty down the highway without my blade the gauge never moves off operating temp ever, my old truck just has a manual fan hub , meaning it senses rad temp and kicks in manually, even with my fan running full on it will not bring my temps down to normal, at all while on the highway. I never have any problems on the hottest of days pulling as hard as it will pull on some of the steepest of hills , so I know I have no problems with my fans of cooling system

with three generations of dodges in the trucks we use they all have issues with a blizzard blade running at 60 mph on the highway, as well as two ford power strokes, nice to know there is an option on the 6.7 , but the airfoil has that fixed for us for now,

its all about getting some air through the rad, good to know for some people that locking up your fans is curing their problems, for other people that still isn't good enough, so when all else fails try a scoop. And im not saying the scoop is the answer for everybody either, the first ones we bought just got tore right off, bolts would come loose and with stacking up snow would end up just ripping them right off,

16. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

I'm trying to get it in snow plow mode now and it's not working. My software is all up to date. My cruise control setting are on the steering wheel. I tried every cruise button while hitting exhaust break 4 times and nothing. Do you mean turn the brake on twice so hit button total of 4 times?

17. birddseedd

the heck is plow mode?

18. maxwellp

19. maxwellp

And on number 2 they say "pull in" but my guess is they mean "push in"

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have an 08 diesel also.

I'm not sure if the j35 flash makes a difference
    What can make a difference is it it was enabled

For some reason not all trucks have the options enabled in the computer
    Like using the PTO option as a set throttle to control the idle rpm
    (It uses the cruise control functions)
    Try the instructions a few more times
    Posted in that link
    Befor going to the dealer to see if it's enabled or not

Even doing the fuel& brake peddle dance to turn off the oil change dealer message can take a couple of tries to get it to turn off