1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sick of fords

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PremierLand, Dec 19, 2006.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

How come, every ford I own gives me problems. A F150 I had went through 2-3 Trannys(but it was a 94 so I understand but 3 is unaccecptable for only 120k), Explorer is more like a exploder(2001). And my F350dump (2000) had to get a new tranny at 50k, among alot of other parts (but mostly wear parts such as hubs), anyway, lately, the dipstick dube had to be replaced. and well....

Ford placed it right next to the exhaust manifold, so the tube gets all that heat on it and corrorrods and breaks off, so then the only way to get it off is to take the manifold off.... Then once we got it off, we found out the only thing holding the manifold on was rust (this is only a 2000) and we had to retap all the threads at the block. After that we find out there is a service bulliten on it.

Ive also heard of spark plugs blowing out of the motor, as well as the engine at a heavy load causes massive tourqe which cracks the windsheild due to twisting the frame.

This is all on a V10....

This is my 3rd time buying a ford, and everytime I always say I will never buy another one... Some of you may think I just abuse them, however I have had 2 chevys and a dodge and had ZERO problems. (nock on wood).

Hopefully some of you wont have this problem.

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I have owned 10 Fords and love em'. My newest one is a 95 though, most of my problems have been from abuse or age of the truck. It's doesn't matter what it is they all break and are a pain at one point or another, i'm a mechanic so I work on plenty of stuff besides Fords.:gunsfiring:

3. PremierLand

from detroit

I understand that, and im a firm beliver that they all have problems, and I could careless which one as long as people buy ford, dodge, or gm, but.... what breaks the least? lol. In my case, ford has broken the most. Oh well, maybe its me, maybe its unfourtnute luck.

4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I tell my boss all the time, Fords just don't like you, he's a Chevy guy though, and I think the Fords know it.

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Ive owned a lot of Fords and Chevy,s and they all suck when they break and they were all an Awesome truck at some point . Just remeber - Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of Jalapenos.
    What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.:D

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

whats the point of this topic?

to warn us and for us to go out and buy chebys?

7. starc

starc Senior Member

I've always owned Fords and always will. They give me very little if any troubles. If I was building a street machine it would definitely have a chevy engine. As far as the truck itself...I think the ford is built better as far as working goes. Chevy has been to be built more for comfort and ride from what I've always understood.

Here's a couple pics of my 55 chevy pick up project

1.jpg

2.jpg

8. PremierLand

from detroit

just to vent. :angry:

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know what ya mean when it comes to exhaust manifold bolts, we replace them on a weekly basis here at work with cars that have just over 36k. I love our 06 F250SD though. A freind of mine had to have his exhaust manifold bolts replaced on his 2000 F250 and it ended up costing him around $800.00:eek:

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Were you getting the ticking form the manifold PremierLand? That is what I am getting and I am thinking that it is the manifold bolts. I love warranties! Every truck has pluses and minuses. Just go with the flow.

11. PremierLand

from detroit

never had a ticking. In order to get the dip stick tube out, I had to take the manifold off, then when in the process, we found out the only thing holding it on was rust, and had to drill and retap all the threads from the block. If I didnt do this now, I would have had a exhaust leak in about 2 months. It was bad.

There is a service bulliten on it, since you also have the V10, and about the same year, you prolly do have the same problem with the exhaust manifold bolts. Good luck with it.

12. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I'm assuming you are talking about the exhasut manifolds, aren't they mounted to the heads? Another reason i hate aluminum heads. I'm very carefull on my 4.6 when doing the plugs or anything because the damn aluminum drives me nuts. Along with large amounts of Permatex antisieze.

13. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I am a diehard Ford man and my family has run them for years with no problems...All manufacturers have their + and - but in my opinion you can't go wrong with the blue oval! :D

14. starc

starc Senior Member

:drinkup: ..................

15. PremierLand

from detroit

im sorry... had to retap it from the heads. I used antisieze on everything

16. DeereFarmer

Thanks Premier. I checked them today when I finally had some time while it was still light and all 9 of the bolts that are in there look good lol! It seems like they have been replaced at some point, but the one furthest to the left when looking in the left wheel well just isn't there. Not that it broke off or anything, it is just not there. I can put a pen tip in it without any problem. I am thinking someone just didn't put it in or something like that. I am taking it is for service this coming week and that will be addressed.:realmad: :jester:

17. PremierLand

from detroit

well dont get to excited. I wish you the best of luck, but my bolts where there too, but they were rusted in the head, and thats why they had to be retapped.

hopefully yours is different, but it is a common problem with these motors.

18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I will say that I love my truck....it's the first Ford I have ever owned; but it will be my last. Dont get me wrong, i love it, but I guess I found out i'm not really a Ford guy. More Dodge & Chevy....but to each their own! :drinkup:

19. DeereFarmer

Yeah, I am just hoping they will be good. It doesn't really matter because they are covered under my warranty. I think I will have to pay like a $100 deductible, but sure beats what they would charge me. Hopefully just the missing one wil be the only problem. If you want to be sick of a truck, buy a 1987 Dodge Ram. Those are nothing but hassles. Trust me, I had one. They are a wiring nightmare!!!!

20. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

We have always used Fords, you buy for what you need, not for mechanical needs. If you do, it is just the luck of the draw. They all have lemons and crap-boxes. Buy a truck for what you need it for, but don;t compare it's maintenance records with that of another brand claiming one is better than the other in spite of that.