Snow Plowing Forum banner

Do you shut the truck off when filling up?

• Yes

Votes: 67 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 69 37.3%
  • sometimes

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Yes the prices alone might kill me

Votes: 4 2.2%

Shut truck off while gassing up?

5K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  basher 
#1 ·
Do you shut the truck off when you fill up while out plowing?
I know allot of guys don't like to shut the truck off while out plowing but do you when you fill up? some stations will stop you from filling up until you shut the car off. in fact on some pumps itsw not possible because you have to hold the handle to work the pump.

Although my father who owed a gas station for 20 years and was a certified ford/gm/bmw master mechanic for 30 years swears it has no effect on filling up it will not cause an explosion . He says the problem is that most people will be temped to get back into the car while they are filling up. the danger is the static charge you build while getting in and out could cause a spark at the nozzle.
but do you shut her down?

just wondering i'm going to make this a pole if I can figure it out....

#6 ·
On newer truck you want too. The fuel system is pressurized and can through you a code.
Like on GM trucks it can come up as a 440 emissions code. I do understand the starter not working after shut off. Have had that happen to me when I was younger.:dizzy:

Chris

#7 ·
I have a diesel and it never gets shut off unless im out of the truck for more then 20 minutes.

#8 ·
Depends on your route and how much your battery needs a charge. If your truck is running hot and/or your battery is running low you ought to keep it running...otherwise, shut it off.

#9 ·
On my diesel truck, I don't shut it off when I refuel. On my gas trucks, I may but I don't have a plow for any of my gas trucks. I would leave a plow truck running no matter what. Its got a lot of strain on the battery and electrical. Better safe then sorry IMHO.

#10 ·
Always, I'm told that god for bid there was an explosion, the stations insurance co. won't pay if your car was running. Plus everything I have is computer controlled, don't want to throw a code. I don't think I'd have the balls to jump in and shut it off if somethin blowed up.:dizzy::yow!:

#14 ·
Yes. I thought it was law to shut them down? :confused:

I know someone (friend of a friend) who blew up a plastic gas can on himself with a static spark, he is burned from head to toe and was completely out of action for like six monthes... even now he can only wear a loose-fitting sweatsuit...

#16 ·
I rarely shut the diesel off, the gas truck I usually shut off. I also never get back in the truck while its filling, don't want to cause that static charge, that and while its filling i'm usually cleaning windows and checking tires and whatever else.

#17 ·
i leave my truck running for the time it starts snowing till the time it ends, even if im taking breaks inbetween,

#18 ·
I shut mine off cuz I have a locking gas cap...

#19 ·
I do not shut my diesel down until I get home. I always fill it running, I even go and sit back in my truck, but I always make sure to touch the truck to discharge any static before I touch the nozzle. I had one older guy about Snow Farmers age:salute: start to chew me out a few weeks ago about how I was going to kill us both and it was against federal law and blah blah blah and I just went off on the guy. It was quite funny, my buddy was dying in the passenger seat by the time I was done with that old f#%k.

#21 ·
yamaguy;507746 said:
I do not shut my diesel down until I get home. I always fill it running, I even go and sit back in my truck, but I always make sure to touch the truck to discharge any static before I touch the nozzle. I had one older guy about Snow Farmers age:salute: start to chew me out a few weeks ago about how I was going to kill us both and it was against federal law and blah blah blah and I just went off on the guy. It was quite funny, my buddy was dying in the passenger seat by the time I was done with that old f#%k.
If I drove a Ford, I wouldn't shut it off either.:D

We have our own diesel at home, so we always let the trucks warm up while refueling. When I'm at the gas station I always shut the truck off.

#22 ·
We never shut down any of the truck until they get home and idle down for at least 15 minutes after plowing!

#23 ·
i start it up when i leave our shop and it doesnt get shut down till i get back to the shop sometimes 24+ hours later. so yes I leave it run when refueling but i dont get back into the truck when the truck is refueling i use the time to check the fluids and wash off my windows.

#24 ·
This same thread got closed over on FTE.

Never, shut 'em off during a storm unless fixing something. Might be superstitious, but I don't care. Chances of igniting either gas or diesel are next to nothing if you use your brain.

I always shut my cell phone off though, because that really gives off electricity. LMAO :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#25 ·
yamaguy;507746 said:
one older guy about Snow Farmers age:salute: that old f#%k.
lol:drinkup::D

If your worried about static build up.
Just make sure you touch the metal on the side of the pump this will dissipate any charge that might of built up.
(it's grounded)

When it is snowing and blowing and I need 30gal of fuel I don't stand out side and wait. I sit where it's nice and warm and field phone calls or up date the log book while i'm waiting.
Especially if there any "old f#%kers" watching.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.