Snow Plowing Forum banner

Do you shut the truck off when filling up?

• Yes

Votes: 67 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 69 37.3%
  • sometimes

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Yes the prices alone might kill me

Votes: 4 2.2%

Shut truck off while gassing up?

5K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  basher 
#1 ·
Do you shut the truck off when you fill up while out plowing?
I know allot of guys don't like to shut the truck off while out plowing but do you when you fill up? some stations will stop you from filling up until you shut the car off. in fact on some pumps itsw not possible because you have to hold the handle to work the pump.

Although my father who owed a gas station for 20 years and was a certified ford/gm/bmw master mechanic for 30 years swears it has no effect on filling up it will not cause an explosion . He says the problem is that most people will be temped to get back into the car while they are filling up. the danger is the static charge you build while getting in and out could cause a spark at the nozzle.
but do you shut her down?

just wondering i'm going to make this a pole if I can figure it out....

#27 ·
Truck runs start of storm to end. Haven't seen the gallons go up faster than the dollars in quite some time.. That was one reason to buy a diesel. Now the diesel is priced higher than the gas.:angry:

#28 ·
if you have an 03-07 obs chevy or gmc duramax you have to shut it off and fill the front tank before the back tank or else it screws up the fuel gauge happend to me twice before i figured it out. just a little for warning.

#30 ·
I was told by a friend of mine who is a master mechanic, that it can indeed mess up the gauges in the sending unit. It makes it off when it is first done, but if you shut it off and restart it, it goes to the true reading. He said it goes deeper than that, though. It can mess it up permanently.

#33 ·
I all ways shut it off when refueling. and it all ways starts back up

#34 ·
haha around here NOONE shuts there cars/trucks off in the winter..its too damn cold out :p

i never shut it down in the winter months, i also get back in the truck to stay warm i dont slide on the seat tho getting in/out.

#36 ·
I dont shut mine off..

Just for the same reason, u never know if it will start back up

and it hels cool things down

#37 ·
Mine is never shut off....refueling or not. It runs when I stop in for a break too.

#42 ·
smoore45;510165 said:
Landmark, the static electricity myth may have been busted, but a hot exhaust has caused flames at the pump before. Watch out!!
With that argument you should let the the truck cool down before fueling. Just because the truck isnt running does not mean that the exhaust is not hot. Not to worried about igniting diesel fuel or gasoline with a hot exhaust pipe.

#43 ·
I always shut off my truck when I get out of it but its because I don't want some nut job stealing my truck
To the guys that are afraid it wont start again , here is more ammo for you . I,ve got a F250 powerstroke that seems to like eating starters. Last Tuesday on my way home I decided while it was cold and raining that I would fill up before the big snow fall the weather man was calling for (8-12 turned out to be 1 and high wind:guns:). So I get back in the truck and F%$# ME it wont start !! My wife is with me and I,m dressed in office clothes and here I go under the truck to install the spare starter that a friend gave me (he must be psychic). Its raining ,cold and it doesn't take long before I,m SOAKED. The new starter installed I get back in the truck shacking and my wife says YOUR GETTING GOOD AT THAT ,IT ONLY TOOK YOU 15 MINUTES:guns::guns:! Its another 30 minutes home and my ass is frozen (literally) and I,m thinking next time I,ll take my chances that someone will steal it!!!

#44 ·
Vinnie;510450 said:
I always shut off my truck when I get out of it but its because I don't want some nut job stealing my truck
To the guys that are afraid it wont start again , here is more ammo for you . I,ve got a F250 powerstroke that seems to like eating starters. Last Tuesday on my way home I decided while it was cold and raining that I would fill up before the big snow fall the weather man was calling for (8-12 turned out to be 1 and high wind:guns:). So I get back in the truck and F%$# ME it wont start !! My wife is with me and I,m dressed in office clothes and here I go under the truck to install the spare starter that a friend gave me (he must be psychic). Its raining ,cold and it doesn't take long before I,m SOAKED. The new starter installed I get back in the truck shacking and my wife says YOUR GETTING GOOD AT THAT ,IT ONLY TOOK YOU 15 MINUTES:guns::guns:! Its another 30 minutes home and my ass is frozen (literally) and I,m thinking next time I,ll take my chances that someone will steal it!!!
sometimes beating on the starter with a tire iron while somebody tries to crank it over will get it started at least so you can get it back to a nice heated garage to change out the starter.

#45 ·
sometimes beating on the starter with a tire iron while somebody tries to crank it over will get it started at least so you can get it back to a nice heated garage to change out the starter
Trust me I tried ALL the tricks before making the decision to change it;)
I taped on it.
I used a screwrdriver to jump the terminals
I taped on it
I pleaded with it
I taped the hell out of it
I ask the big for a break
I beat the hell out of it and then changed it

#48 ·
After each event I first head to the car wash and rid the ole plow and truck of all the excess salt and road grime. I do shut the truck off for this because its 3 sided and I don't like the smell of exhaust. Then, I head for the gas station where I have very seldom shut off the truck. If you discharge yourself to a grounded source, you won't have a problem. My trucks are always washed and filled after each event so we are ready at a moments notice to service the customer. (But the real reason is.... when you are as old as Sno Farmer and me.....
you forget to look at all the gauges when engaged in activity that requires multi tasking LOL)

Abbert

#49 ·
Vinnie;510450 said:
I leave the key in the igniction and carry the remote fob in my pocket. That way i can leave it running while i'm not in it and can lock the doors, also keeps the dog from locking me out, again.LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.