1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shut truck off while gassing up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mulcahy mowing, Feb 4, 2008.

?

Do you shut the truck off when filling up?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. sometimes

45 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Yes the prices alone might kill me

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Do you shut the truck off when you fill up while out plowing?
    I know allot of guys don't like to shut the truck off while out plowing but do you when you fill up? some stations will stop you from filling up until you shut the car off. in fact on some pumps itsw not possible because you have to hold the handle to work the pump.

Although my father who owed a gas station for 20 years and was a certified ford/gm/bmw master mechanic for 30 years swears it has no effect on filling up it will not cause an explosion . He says the problem is that most people will be temped to get back into the car while they are filling up. the danger is the static charge you build while getting in and out could cause a spark at the nozzle.
    but do you shut her down?

just wondering i'm going to make this a pole if I can figure it out....

2. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

If the gas stations arn't busy like at 3 in the morning then I leave the truck running because it may not start again with my luck. But if I'm going to get stares by everyone else there I turn it off to save problems.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Never. That's when your starter decides to stop working! Just stick your snow brush in the handle to keep it running.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hot

i shut mine down i run the heater hot enough it dont matter it stays warm and it start's just fine .

5. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i don't shut my truck off when i am out plowing my luck it wont start.

6. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

On newer truck you want too. The fuel system is pressurized and can through you a code.
    Like on GM trucks it can come up as a 440 emissions code. I do understand the starter not working after shut off. Have had that happen to me when I was younger.:dizzy:

Chris

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have a diesel and it never gets shut off unless im out of the truck for more then 20 minutes.

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Depends on your route and how much your battery needs a charge. If your truck is running hot and/or your battery is running low you ought to keep it running...otherwise, shut it off.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

On my diesel truck, I don't shut it off when I refuel. On my gas trucks, I may but I don't have a plow for any of my gas trucks. I would leave a plow truck running no matter what. Its got a lot of strain on the battery and electrical. Better safe then sorry IMHO.

10. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Always, I'm told that god for bid there was an explosion, the stations insurance co. won't pay if your car was running. Plus everything I have is computer controlled, don't want to throw a code. I don't think I'd have the balls to jump in and shut it off if somethin blowed up.:dizzy::yow!:

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Static discharge is more of a danger And check out the pump price!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3x-8tj49ac&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3x-8tj49ac&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/grQYr507r_A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/grQYr507r_A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>.

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

pretty crazy video, i don't think a diesel would do that though. that stuff is hard to light with a lighter when it's cold out.

13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i always shut mine off when i fill up. its just habit. and i have never had a problem restarting it. i mean if the batery is low id leave it running. but ive only had that happen a couple times.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yes. I thought it was law to shut them down? :confused:

I know someone (friend of a friend) who blew up a plastic gas can on himself with a static spark, he is burned from head to toe and was completely out of action for like six monthes... even now he can only wear a loose-fitting sweatsuit...

15. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I leave mine running. However, I do not get back into the truck until I hang the nozzle back up....

$0.94 a Gallon???? WTF Now I know I am getting screwed at the pumps!!!

Attached Files:

• gas.bmp
      File size:
      68.6 KB
      Views:
  16. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I rarely shut the diesel off, the gas truck I usually shut off. I also never get back in the truck while its filling, don't want to cause that static charge, that and while its filling i'm usually cleaning windows and checking tires and whatever else.

17. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i leave my truck running for the time it starts snowing till the time it ends, even if im taking breaks inbetween,

18. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I shut mine off cuz I have a locking gas cap...

19. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I do not shut my diesel down until I get home. I always fill it running, I even go and sit back in my truck, but I always make sure to touch the truck to discharge any static before I touch the nozzle. I had one older guy about Snow Farmers age:salute: start to chew me out a few weeks ago about how I was going to kill us both and it was against federal law and blah blah blah and I just went off on the guy. It was quite funny, my buddy was dying in the passenger seat by the time I was done with that old f#%k.

20. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Oh man, I didn't see the fourth option when voting. I would have definitely picked that one!

I shut the truck off and stand outside at the pump. I'm happy to stretch my legs for a few minutes.