1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SHPE2000 Used or go new?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by odd1or2even, Jan 4, 2010.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I came across the 2000 model for $2500 used for 2 seasons or I can go out and buy a new model for about $1100 more. Is it worth saving $1100 for the used model with no warranty or go with the new with warranty?

The used model is getting the auger motor replaced and the bearing as well (prior to being bought). Also the connections have been replaced as well because they have been know to fail (as I was told). This unit appears to be in good condition and it has the older style white paneled controller instead of the digital readout.

Any thoughts an opinions? Good or bad they are welcomed. Thanks
  2. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I would question why the auger motor and bearing needs replacement with only two seasons. Sounds like they used it a lot, and didnt clean or prep in for storage after the winter.

As long as works once those items are replaced, I think you'll be fine with it. Just take care of it at the end of the season. We have one we purchased a year and a half ago, and its practicaly brand new still. But you have to clean it after each use, and oil and grease everything prior to storage. There is a grease fitting underneath for the auger bearing. He probably never greased it, and let it rust out.

Save a buck, buy it. If it only lasts you one season you will have made more than enought to cover the expense of repairing or replacing it next season.
  3. odd1or2even

One thing I noticed were the baffels or salt shields on the bottom to hold back the salt from all pouring down on the auger. How do you generally set it up so you never need to change it "set it and forget it".

I wash down all my equipment every snow storm and sometimes the trucks in between the storms as well to keep the brine off. But it just seems that washing and oiling the bearings and greasing the one bearing will make these last a while longer which I want. No sense in getting nickled and dimed and having crap that breaks on you.

4. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

I have my baffles set as far open as I could get them. You can play with how much salt comes out by adjusting the auger speed. It has worked good for me so far....
  5. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I have learned the hard way buy new. I have probably spent the same amount of money on an old plow when i could have bought a new one, which I did. Same thing with used mowers more time in the shop less money for you more headaches, Not worth saving a few bucks.
  6. odd1or2even

I have bought everything used and yes there are a few problems but I know people that buy brand new and they are having problems as well. Just trying to see other opinions out there from first hand users of this product on what they would do again. I know for myself, I would never go back to Meyers snow plows since I bought a Boss V plow I love it and will be going to all Boss plows by next year.
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Go new, Jim at ESI has them on his website for $3075 I believe it is. If not exact, its right around there. thats a little more than 500 bucks difference. I want to buy one too, but I am spooked about these controller issues.
  8. odd1or2even

I checked out the website and you were right... anyone looking to buy one from the Philadelphia area? I'm thinking about buying 2 or 3 and selling them locally. Let me know.
  9. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

All I know is usually people sell plows when they become money pits, outdated, or they have been abused... Lets face it everyone abuses their plows but me. LOL I dont know from my experiences paying that little more for a warranty really gives me piece of mind. When my plow breaks I know I stress like crazy. Good Luck hope it works out!
  10. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Buy new and quit kidding youself
  11. odd1or2even

What's the warranty by Buyers? Probably 1 year or is it two? Thanks
  12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

365 days = 12 months = 1 year

Just my .02¢
  13. odd1or2even

I ended up finding one in Jan from a guy that bought one back in Dec. So just a month old and used for the big storm back in December and I am glad I bought the salt spreader!!!! One of my best investments this year for $3000 for the 2 yard model, besides like 5 foot snow blower which saved my bee-hind on our second blizzard snow storm since there was no place to plow 2 feet of snow since we had about 2 feet of snow 3 days earlier. Thanks guys/gals...
  14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a new 1500 back in Dec. new.Finally,I just got my warranted replacement good white faced analog controller--same as yours.Now,it works fine,actually spreads almost like it's supposed to.From everything you said,I would buy the used one.