1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shpe 2000?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alsam116, Jul 9, 2009.

1. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

I have looked everywhere and cant find if a 2 yd model will fit in my 99 ford 250 superduty shortbed (6.5feet)? the website measurements wook out to fit but the local dealer had said it doesnt. Just wondering if anyone has put one in a simalar truck.
    Thanks in advance,
    alex

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The same unit wont fit in my short bed ram. I cut a piece of 3/4" ply that extended the bed an inch and a half, worked fine for 3 years. Now I have a treated 2x6 frame, that the sprayer/tank is attached to in front of the v-box. Works just fine.

The back pad on that unit is 3.5" deep so even with the additional plywood overhang the unit still sits over steel in the bed. That plywood also helps keep that unit from sliding around.

3. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

is there any way you can snap and post a picture of that for me?? I appreciate the reply!!

4. T-MAN

Its in storage and I am archaic lol. No digital camera (wife only borrows me hers for work LOL, I am kinda ruff on stuff). I ran over my cell phone, so my temp (go phone) has no camera :nod:
    That sounds pathetic :rolleyes:

If your not in a hurry , I will see what I can do.

5. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

i appreciate it i think i no wat u mean about putting it on plywood, like a stand to raise it up?
    Thank you again

6. T-MAN

The plywood is a sheet ripped at 37"x 77" long laid flat in the bed over the rubber bed mat. Set the spreader on that and strap it down. It hangs out about 1.5" past the raised ribs in the bed of the truck. The rear foot of the spreader hooks the ply. Worked great for 3 years. I needed a little more room in front of the spreader for my 15 gallon tank so I made the 2x6 frame.
    I will get ya a pic of the 2x6 treated frame this afternoon.

7. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

sorry if im slow and cant follow you but i think i got it now. the only reason the ply is in there is for the extra length, right? You dont have to get pics if its a hassle. thank you again for all of your help. it would be easier if i couldd see a spreader in person to figure out wat i would need to make to make it work but the deaer wont get in until sept. Thanks again tman

8. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

bought the 2 yd model last week and it fit right in there. i dont know why the other 2 dealers i called said it wouldnt fit?? no problems at all, i installed it myself and did so in about 2 hrs including making the front support box.
    Thank you for you help with me,
    Alex

9. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Install was very easy for me as well.....Great unit and easy to work with.

10. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

well see how it preforms, never spread salt before.it will be fun to see...LOL

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It will fit.
    the key to the saltdoggs is to build the stop for the front of the spreader as the instructions tell you. If not you can not keep it from sliding forward. Do not depend on just the straps as anybody with real world experience will tell you.

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

We have a few as of this year, the last leg of the sander unit just makes it, and yes, make sure its strapped down well and do not reneg on building the wooden frame as one has mentioned already.
    there is a thread somewhere and shows pics of the damage by not building and securing the sander.
    Good units though. best of luck!

13. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

built the frame and crossed the straps from front of bed to back of spreader and shook the unit and it shook the whole damn truck. I cant wait to use it!!!!

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can learn to read the load by the feel and sound of the vibrator.

15. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

here are the pictures to what happened to me last year. Buyers is a great company though they sent me a new hopper for no charge just shipping. And the reason was the directions mine came with did not tell me to build a box or to cross straps, make sure you do both. Sander works great had it for three years now.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=77407

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah they no longer mold that retainer lip into the box. The pallet they come on is the perfect source for the wood to build the stop.

17. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

i was wondering about the stop had noticed mine didnt have one but other pics on the site did, I figured it was somthing to do with problems since i saw pics on here about them breaking. I hope we get some snow to atleast break even on the unit... im sure i will figure out the spread pattern and when the unit is empty quick, the guy were going to sub for has TONS of salt work to be done(him and his partner also bought the unit for there trucks). Thanks again for all the replies and great feedback, even though ive only been on here a short time, i read and get on atleast three times a week!!!! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

18. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

:drinkup:It is a great site and tool for all.... make some bucks!