1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shpe 2000 problems

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by yj junker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

I have an older sphe 2000 spreader and have had nothing but problems,I am on my second motor/gearbox for the auger so far this year,the gearbox keeps binding up and I have no idea why,turn the auger backwards and it frees up and spins good for a few rotation,maybe longer then binds again,I run sand only due to the project that I am working on is in a watershed area,the sand is extremely dry,usually dust coming out with the sand,any and all help is greatly appreciated Thumbs Up

2. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

you running baffels?

3. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

yes have both baffles in and only open about 2" each ,need to keep the vibrator on to keep the material falling into the holes :(

4. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Maybe some other guys on here chime in who have a more experience with trouble shooting salt doggs. I have a newer 2000 and the only problem I had with it was the bolt that connects the auger to the motor shaft broke. Other than that I have not had any issues with over 150 ton of bulk salt and 80/20 run thru it.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I was warned when I bought mine from my dealer to never turn the auger the opposite way of it's rotation because you will strip the gears inside.It also tells you this in the manual to free up a jam with a wrench on the shaft.

6. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

the control box turns the auger in reverse to clear jams, I turn it with a wrench just about 1/2 of the opening to clear up the bind in the gear box :)

7. Blaine4450

Blaine4450 Member

Check your front bearing on the auger I have heard of these causing major problems. Good luck!

8. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

the front bearing was the first thing replace this season before the rest of the problems;)

9. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Maybe the bearing got mis installed then? shaft bent?

I know they say that these spreaders were not designed for straight sand also, but if you have the baffles closed down then you might be fine that way.

10. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

is there a special way to install the bearing? it slides over two welded in studs and the auger goes threw the middle install the sheer bolt at the gear box end and tighten the bearing lock setscrew on the bearing .
    The auger looks straight but wanted to order the new stailess one but my dealer couldn't get me one for a couple of months,the dealer around here is the worst ,they have no parts in stock and don't know a dam thing about them !!!! I bought it used and would gladly sell it if I could find something to replace it with,can't justify buying new for the $1000 a yr I might make with it,but I spent $800 in parts already this yr on this junk:cry:

11. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Why did you replace the gear box? was it damaged or was it an attempt to solve the binding problem?
    Is the auger bent? Have you tried to run the box off of the spreader and see if it binds?

I had a problem only once that kept coming back. We had to elongate the mountings to get the auger to spin straight after that no problems.

Good luck keep us informed.

12. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

the gear box binds when turning it by hand off the spreader,changed the last one for the same reason,the auger looks straight does not wobble when turning ,have had the trough off and powered up the motor and everything looked fine

13. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

When you installed the new gear box did you check it before installing to see if it felt the same as the one your changing out? If the new one felt the same one would assume the problem is in the auger alignment or bearing. Are the gear box's under warranty? If not I would take one apart and see whats making it bind.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How far open are the gates? Could the sand be binding on the auger? Have you tried closing the gates to limit the material flow? If it is really fine and dry it should flow very smoothly.

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I had a similar issue on a new unit, the auger and motor where mounted to tight so it put load on everything and turned hard. I added 2 washers between the auger motor and auger so that the bolt connecting motor and auger goes through freely without misalignment.

16. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

cgm inc. will try that :)
    got news from the dealer today that they will let me pay full retail for a new motor and gear box and they will send mine out to salt dog to see if they might possibly warranty it:eek:
    so for sale is one salt dog spreader for the best offer ,can deliver anywhere down the I 95 around the 14 of febuary ,I 'm done with this junk,everything is new except for the hopper!!!!:dizzy:

17. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Im on my iphone if you trying to sell it where do you live?? (cant see where u are at)

also

another problem that it could be is your amps/volts ...... if there is not enough coming from the truck it will stop it or bind it up because of power.

18. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

I'm on the east coast of Canada but headed to Florida on the 12 of February ,driving down the I95 ,has lots of power going to it had it hotwired last ;)

19. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

ALWAYS CHECK THE AUGER PAN BOLTS UNDERNEATH THE SPREADER.
    since they are notorious for self loosening.
    keep lubed .
    always use vibrator.

20. yj junker

yj junker Junior Member

put the new style motor and gear box on today, so hopefully it will work out ;)