1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SHPE 2000 keeps mobing in bed

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by SullivanSeptic, Jan 6, 2013.

1. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Anyone else have a problem with keeping their salter secured? I have a SHPE 2000 in my shortbed chevy and no matter if its loaded or empty, it moves side to side like crazy. We have only had three salt runs here. I haven't even plowed with it in bed yet and I think I am gonna have big problems when i do. I have a four straps on it and they are crossed front to back like they are supposed to. I also made the wood brace in the front of salter against my bed. So as of now, the straps ripped all four tie down hooks off my truck. And remember, I was only doing an easy salt run. No violent stopping or plowing. So my questions is if anyone has figured out a better way to mount this thing? As of now, I am thinking I need o fabricate something to bolt it thru the bed to my frame. And then build wood braces for each side that goes against my wheel wells.

2. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

We built a treated wood box between the spreader and the inside bed walls. It doesn't move at all, loaded or empty !!!

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats what I would do. I cant believe the straps ripped out the tie downs on the truck! What size straps were you using. We use 4 6000lb straps, criss cross them as well and it doesn't move any which way. We also have a brace from the flatbed cab protector to the rear of the v box made from 4x4's

4. SullivanSeptic

Mine waa the same way and has the wood brace. I am using stock straps. This thing was all over the place last night. Trust me, it was moving when i was driving slow and cautious.

5. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Hey Ryan your bed is rhino lined / lynexed right if I remember right? is it the straps or the bed if its the bed try layin down some old strips of conveyer for some bite? Just an Idea.

Or fab in some sort of clete and rail system lik we use on the DOT rigs for the CC tanks being their poly as well

6. SullivanSeptic

Yeah its lineX. I gotta figure out a better mountig system. If we ever do plow, this thing is gonna be flying all over. There is no way straps are gonna hold it. Maybe i will look to some how get some old rubber conveyor belting bolted to under side of salter to help it from sliding. But that alonewont stop it from moving.

7. I have a 3/4 inch thick rubber mat in the back of my ford. the bed is line ex'ed I also made a 3 in I beam rack with side protection to keep from sliding side to side and front to back after I knocked two (count them two) back windows in my Chevy from my salt dogg sliding, I also ripped two of the tie own hooks on my 09 duramax, my dealer told me the tie downs are only made for under 250 lbs , what a joke !!!!! So I put 3/8 plate in bed and welded d rings to that, they held a fully loaded salt dogg put when I feel off a 6 foot retaining wall

8. SullivanSeptic

Any chance you have any pics of this. I am very interested. Im just trying to picture it in my head. Id love to see the I beam set up. Also, what is the 3/8" plate and D rings attached to on the truck?

9. I don't have pictures of the 3/8 plate with D rings but I can get a picture of the I beam set up that I had because I modified it to fit my Ford it looks like a giant u

10. SullivanSeptic

So if ur factory tie downs broke, as mine did, how are you holding it to the truck then? I understand u have a steel plate with D rings, but what holds the plate to the truck? Im ready to cut thru my bed and go to my frame rails.

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

disregard their tie down instructions , if your loading 2 ton on her ..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SullivanSeptic

Wont that salter pull the inside of the bed wall right out if it decides to shift? Thats all sheet metal. Nothing of substance there.

13. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

no signs of stressing yet ... dont use the bed rail holes ....

[​IMG]

14. SullivanSeptic

Oh i figured that. I was skeptical of the tie downs.

15. I welded the plate to the under side of the floor of the bed, in the corners. Cut small hole for d rings to pop Through , My plates were welded to the gussets underneath the frame of the bed.

16. SullivanSeptic

Ok. Thats the route i was gonna go. Cut thru bed ans weld a plate from frame to surface of bed.

17. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Think you may have been better keeping the SS spreader going thru all this. For a snow less winter.heck Ryan before you destroy the bed I would go find a flat bed for your ride and keep the original bed for when ya go to resell it?????????? Just an idea besides Billy in Ind has a flat for sale you know who he is give him a call think 800$

18. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Take a 2x6 and lay on the bed on the outsides of the spreader running from tailgate to the front of the box. then run a 2x6 across them in front of each of the front two legs and to touch the sides of bed. Or go to saltdogg website look under info , then look at instructions for your spreader and there is a picture of there idea of a wooden box.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  19. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Have been running a dogg in my short box GM's for the last 6 yrs. Loaded over the top & plowing the lots before I salt. It never moves strapped this way.

Take the 2 front straps and go across the front of the salter in a x. Then take the back strap & go straight down to the hook in the bed.

Here's a bad drawing lol, don't have the salter in or I would take pics:

salter (600 x 337).jpg

20. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Having same problem. Got a pic of any of these mods. One trucks fine, other isnt. Have a rubber mat in them . Helped alot but not all of the movement.