1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SHPE 2000 Baffels Auger Speed material flow jambing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by simply_peter, Dec 9, 2011.

1. simply_peter

simply_peter Member
    from Iowa

I purchased a used SHPE 2000 to try this year to try and replace a gas v-box. It didn't come with baffles so I am currently running wide open. Last night I tried to run 50/50 salt sand mix. The salt was dry the sand was stored outside a a little damp.

I tested it before leaving and all seemed to be working ok. When I got to the first property I could barely get any material to come out. I was running the vibrator and had the auger on 4 and spinner on 7 or 8. With my gas unit I I can spread heavy without much effort. On the Poly I could barely get the mix out. When I tried to increase the auger speed it would jamb and after that I got out the shovel and spread some by hand to try and get some weight off the load. Even as the material got lower it still didn't want to run much over 4 without a the jamb problem.

I have read some of the other posts and seems like some people have luck with removing the baffles running salt, but the best option with sand is probably to build or buy some baffles to put in to reduce the amount of material getting to the auger.

Once I get baffles how far should I set them open? If this fixes the jamb problem will I be able to get more material to feed out of the spreader once the auger is on a higher setting? Doesn't have to be a sandy beach, but I would like to see more material on the ground.

Looking for any advice, or recommendations on how to tune my setup. Thanks

2. SAPH

SAPH Junior Member
    from OHIO

Get baffles as soon as you can. Close opening closer to cab and leave rear one open about 3-4 inches. This setting usually works good for salt sand mixture.You may need to play a little to get best flow.

3. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

sounds to me like your motor is shot. do you know when it's been replaced?

4. simply_peter

simply_peter Member
    from Iowa

The motor might be original. I don't think it's been replaced. Do they jamb easier when they are getting worn?

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

oh yeah. they wont turn worth a crap when they have a load. they will spin fine free but when they are actually working they will not spread.

6. tjs27

tjs27 Junior Member

Our SHPE 2000 is 4 years old and had to replace the auger motor in year 3. It got to the point where it was jamming all the time and we had to run the vibrator just to get any material to come out. Replaced the motor and it has been fine ever since.

Take a good look at the motor if it is looking corroded in any way clean it up. If you can take the motor apart and if it is not to corroded inside clean it with a electrical spray or cleaner and see if this helps. We have done this in the past as a temporary fix to electric motors, until we could replace the motor for good.

7. simply_peter

simply_peter Member
    from Iowa

Did the older models ship with a 1/2hp motor? It looks like some of the replacement ones show higher HP and torque ratings. Are the replacement motors 3/4 HP? Part # 3009995

8. simply_peter

simply_peter Member
    from Iowa

I came across this older post that shows the motor differences. When it warms up a little I am going to take mine apart. I am guessing that I have the older style motor which may also be contributing to my problems. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=72359

9. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

angelos-supplies.com

10. simply_peter

simply_peter Member
    from Iowa

Mine does have the older motor.