1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TNT Lawn Mainte, Jan 3, 2010.

1. TNT Lawn Mainte

TNT Lawn Mainte Junior Member

What shovels seem to work best?

I prefer having my guys use steel shovels because I think they scrape the concrete better but thats just me. Theyre more expensive but they last longer and work better than the plastic ones
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

uhh i have a shovel i bought at tru value for like 20 bucks, with metal edge, its like 16" wide and its great for heavy stormss, but for light snowfalls, i have a 30" shovel i bought at a garage sale (they wernt selling just the garage :'( ) for like 5 bucks its lasted me 5 yrs so far, the only thing i dislike about steel shovels is they are very heavy. espically when your doing an apt complex.
  3. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

i got plastic and steel, for lite fluffy snow i use the plastic one. ( less noise ) other times ill use the steel
    if i need to.
  4. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

We use wide like 30" plastic shovels they scrape nice steel is heavy If ur shoveling for 14+hrs.
    every year we buy about 20 and go thru 10 from wear and tear
    but we get our $$ worth thats for sure..
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The Snowplow shovels that are a sponsor here are great shovels. All of my guys have really liked them and all carry at least 1 . But each guy also carries one of the cheap blue plastic suncasts with them, and some keep 1 or 2 Dakota Snoblades with them also.
  6. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I prefer the kind that straps to the front of our trucks, they are cool the come with hydraulic cylinders and a light kit!:laughing:
  7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

8. airtime

airtime Member

I like to use grain shovels, wood handle with the poly scoop.
  9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You couldn't pay me enough money to shovel with a metal or metal edged shovel. They are a PIA to use, always catching on every little thing, even on smooth concrete. Plastic slides right along, and will still scrape is you apply a little pressure. Plastic all the way!
  10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I like the snow scoops with the big handle for doing flat roofs. I also have a plastic grain/barn shovel that works really well. I had a aluminum grain shovel that broke on the first roof. Plus the sharp edge was really hard on the shingle roof and wooden porches.
  11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

12. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

13. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I like the $20 ones from Sams club. They are maroon and black this year, and were yellow and black last year. I also use them for landscaping as they can hold a lot and are roughly two feet wide. They only sell them in the winter so I have to stock up.
  14. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

I read this and was like this guy is crazy... Ours are black and yellow, then i say thats last years model... We have 2 of them... I like them, lots of cheap placation ones too. And a few scoop shovels (metal)...
  15. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

This looks similiar to the one at john deere store, except the JD shovel has a loop handle and no metal edge, we just picked up 4. They are sidewalk plows, that s what we call the call em for the sidewalk gang.

If im not mistaken they are like $26 each, they have a tool discount right now til Feb. We also picked up the stainless steel spreaders for $280. Super cheap.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  16. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

those snow plow shovels look real good with that cutting board stuff for the blade.
    there like 40 at my local true value