1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shovels ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gmcsirrra, Dec 31, 2014.

1. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

going to be buying some shovels because ive got a few cliants that want there steps and walkways cleared any recommendations one a couple I should but just don't want to buy junk and also point out what ones I should stay away from thanks !
  2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

They're great shovels.Thumbs Up
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

open an account for the best prices!
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I missed it..How do you open an account........need some more
  6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Northern tool has them in now. Not in store , order them , and send to store no charge . They are $5 cheaper than there website , not sure how much cheaper if u open an account . Whats the price difference with an account?
  7. leolkfrm

8. leolkfrm

open the account, log into it, then shop
  9. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

thanks everyone I mainly have steps and a stair case going up to a deck which one would be best and what makes these plow shovels so good just wondering thanks again for all the input
  10. leolkfrm

dominator for lift and throw...snowplow for flat work
  11. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Don't forget to click on Snow contractor (not sure of exact wording) when you create your account. Took an extra $10 off the dominator.
  12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

13. IndySnowJob

IndySnowJob Junior Member
    from Indiana

Agree on http://www.jmenterprises.com/

Whatever you decide make sure you can order replacement components...this will save you $$ over the long haul. Keep your brand the same so you can piece stuff together when it breaks.
  14. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

whats the best size to get?
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

About this size.
  16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Our most common size is 30" followed by 36".
  17. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I only use Snowplow brand shovels too. The dominator is perfect for lifting. We have 18", 24", and 30" pushers. I think 30-36" pushers are perfect for light storms. They're faster than blowers, and quieter and less expensive. I always keep a 24" and a dominator on my truck. The 18" are great for steps. We have a couple properties with a full story of steps to the unit main doors. These work really well. Every part is replaceable. The extra upfront cost per shovel is easily paid for by the length of service it will give you. It makes complete economical sense to buy these over the cheap big box shovels.
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are pushers shovels?

I carry a variety of D1's.

steel, plastic, pusher, scoop, narrow to wide.
    Some you use to clear sidewalks and some you use to dig yourself out when you run the pile and get stuck.
  19. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

I have 4 24" the snow plow shovels. ill be getting some dominators soon too. 10/10 recommendation.
  20. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I also love the dominator. I bought one mid season last year after breaking my 2nd Lowe's shovel. This thing scraped down to concrete on stuff I couldn't bust with the Lowe's shovel.
    It seems rugged as hell. It is a bit harder on the back I feel with the straight handle versus the handle with the bend in it on my Lowe's one.
    I have also used it for mulch and I love it compared to the older scoop style aluminum ones. Ordering another one this fall.