1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoveling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kyle1845, Oct 10, 2009.

1. kyle1845

kyle1845 Junior Member
    from NH

I was hoping to get some insight on this... I put a bid in with a development company for 20+ addresses mostly driveways with a few small parking lots for plowing and shoveling. They got back to me yesterday and said they would like to hire me for the shoveling on all the addresses and just a few for the plowing. My first thought was that I didn't want to do it, but I also don't want to leave money on the table. I have some laborers that I could send out to do it I'm just not sure if the company will pay what I need in order to make money. I have a second truck with out a plow on it and I also have a snow blower I could throw in the back. I guess my question is would you guys bother with this or just move on, I was really hoping to get the whole route. Thanks for the help

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Did you bid the shoveling seperately? If not, then re-calculate with shovel or snow blower only prices. I think you should take the work if you have the time and equip.

3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

to me it sounds that they are using someone else for the plowing and they don't do shoveling, or its that the rate you bid for the shoveling is much lower than the other guy's. I would be concerned about sharing a contract with another contractor, are they going to leave a large pile of snow by the sidewalk for you to do? In any event I would ask them about why they did not wish you to do the whole thing, and see if there was a comprimise on the price to get you the whole thing. Or try to find the reason you were not selected and try again next year, it would make sence to have 1 contractor doing everything. Good luck.

4. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

I definitely would not do it at the same price quoted together with plowing if you made your price based on the total package. If they're trying to part you out at the package price I'd tell them no.

5. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Better make sure there is alot of money there, if your hired help does not show up and you are stuck doing it when you need to be plowing it could be a problem, I would tell them all or none!! Obviously the other co. does not want to scoop and they will prob. hire you if you tell them its all or none!! You dont want all your accounts to be shovel accounts and thats what it will turn into if you start giving in.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pass it up now and you may not get the chace to do it in the future.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

agree.. may be that to save money they are doing everyone's walks out of courtesy but only the drives of seniors.

Find out the reason... BUT DO NOT SHARE WITH ANOTHER VENDOR!

A lot of HOAs are having budget issues. If they are honest and there is no other vendor, then make sure your mobilization costs are in the shoveling and don't forget you have a truck just sitting there while shoveling is being done.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

It depends. If you have a good sidewalk setup (2 guys with some Toro 2450's or 3650's) then you can knock out sidewalks like no tomorrow. But I usually do the shoveling/snoblowing for pretty cheap just to keep the guys in the truck working and to make sure no other contractor gets a foot in the door.

9. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

Hey Brants, don't know how many walks you do, but i have quite a few, and if you remember 2 seasons ago, there was alot of ice, and slush, here in southern Wi, and at the crosswalks trying to get thru the ice pack the city plows left, in some cases i had to get the skid steer out, i assume there are city walks as well as the small ones from the drive to door, in any event i would try for all or nothing.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't do many sidewalks that get lot's of slush off of the road. But we've never had anything that our Toro's couldn't handle. Kinda amazing actually. But if your getting snow directly from a road or such, they are going to be pretty slow. That's just my experience, no problems so far. And 2 seasons ago with all that heavy crap, I was running Ariens and they aren't as good as the Toro's so I can't really say much about that.

11. kyle1845

kyle1845 Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks again for all the reply's. I think the reason they are not giving me all the plow accounts right off the bat is because one of the owners has a plow truck so I think he wants to do some of them himself for now, but obviously he doesn't want to get out of the truck. I'm meeting with them this coming week to go over some more details we'll see if we can come up with something to make it worth our time. I'm just wondering how much they will be willing to pay for just shoveling, I'm thinking it might be hard to cover my overhead, pay my guys, and come out with a profit. I'm thinking hourly is the way to go with this, do you agree?

12. WIPensFan

No, do not do hourly! Give them a price you will make money on and don't do it if you can't come out ahead.

13. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

I disagree with not doing hourly, with each storm being different, it is hard to figure how long it will take, 3 inches of light fluff goes alot faster than 3 inches of heavy wet snow that keeps clogging the shute every 5 minutes, when we bid hourly, we always have like a 1 hour min. so we cover travel time as well. most of our accounts are on hourly and has worked well for the past 22 years.

14. WIPensFan

How are you pricing per Hr.? Is it per man? The customer will always wonder if your doing it as fast as you can. I think charging on a per inch scale is best for hand work. If it's light your done faster and making a set amount of money. If it's heavy it takes longer but your charging more anyway.

15. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

we charge per man hour, and have toro blowers that work great, they can see we don't take our time, guess were doing something right, have alot of repeat customers both commercial and res.