1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoveling Prices??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buckhunter, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

I have been plowing driveways for the last 3 years and have been charging $20 a plow. This year I have picked up another 15 drives that bring me to about 40 driveways and I have contracts on two commercial lots. I had been doing light shoveling the last few years for 25 of these driveways. Maybe takes 5 minutes in each driveway, just a small path to their porch or door. I hadn't been charging them for this and am wondering if it is ethichal for me to start charging them now. And if I don't charge them should I be charging my new customers to shovel? Just wondering what some others do or think?
  2. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I will only do one time plows when my 45 contracts are done. When I quote someone for one time plowing it depends on...

A. How much snow?
    B. Did you stop and offer or did they wave you down?
    C. Is it worth your time? steep driveways/vehicles in the way/ditches/trees/streams/fences
    D. Is the person disabled? elderly?

I could think of more things that could add to this but its your vehicle and time so I would set your rate at a minimum of $30 a plow if its small and $80 if its around 100 ft long unobstructed.
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't shovel at all--isn't it bad enough that plowing/sanding by itself is blood money,no way would I offer this.Especially for nothing.
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

If I gotta get out of the truck for ANYTHING, it's at least $10
    I don't want to get out of the truck, it's cold and snowy out there.

Plus the truck makes good money an hour, me shoveling while the truck sits still has to make the same money.
  5. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

All my shoveling is covered in the cost of plowing. I try and make all my drives look like I would want mine, so I DO getout of the truck, and make sure they are completly shoveled out, from the path to the front door, in front of the garage, and anything else they want to be cleared. They are hiring you for a service, and many of my customers do not even own snow shovels anymore, they all count on me and my professional job that I do each and every time, and they have never argued about the cost. I also changed my contracts this year to per inch billing, this also make is easier for adding in the cost of shoveling. I want to be in the snow business, I like the snow, it makes me good money, if I did not want to be doing this, and getting out of the truck, I would not be doing the kind of service I would expect if I hired someone to do my plowing. Others on here will not agree with me, but that is why my routes are always filled, and I have to turn down customers every year.
  6. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

I could not agree with you more. I find my level of service brings all my customers back along with others. People want to feel as if they are getting something for their money and are willing to pay for service.
  7. jwkv

jwkv Member

I have different prices. One set is for the plowing and if they want shoveling there is an added cost depending, like the plow, on how long it is going to take to do the job. So far everyone is happy shovelling their own walkways.
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I quit shovelling anything that was less than 7.5' wide.

Time is money, I would charge the same hourly rate you would for the truck. Also, $20 for a driveway, seriously? I used to get double that for a typical residential drive.
  9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We shovel most of our residentials and as you said it takes maybe 5 min. Then again, my minimum for a resi drive is twice that of your rate.
  10. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

If I shovel anything that doesn't have the shoveling already factored into the price(by me), I charge 50.00/hr with a one hour minimum(larger commercial sites). The truck is sitting idle for that time while I shovel/snowblow/apply icemelt so I need to get that to do extra.
  11. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

shoveling- $50.00/hr & not included in plowing payup
  12. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I charge 45 per hour for shoveling and as much as I think the customer will pay for plowing, with a minimum of 25 dollers per push. on one time jobs I turn the stop watch on at two dollers a minute. I was thinking about a small blower instead of a shovel, but would make less money. What do you guys charge for running a blower?
  13. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

$50.00/hr for that too.
  14. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

if it is a 10 to 15 foot walk no problem if it is more i just add on 10 bucks or so and it never had come up why or what am i charging for
  15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

IMO everyone is willing to pay what they think the shoveling is worth. Unfortunately to most people they judge it by what they could pay the neighbors kids to do it. Or basically what the minimum wage is for unskilled labor.

I had a guy ask me how much it would be to shovel to his door, it wasn't too far, but i quoted him $20.00 for shoveling. I never heard from the guy again. I think i would have been better off just telling him i don't shovel honestly.

This season is horrible. Lowballers rule in this crap economy.