1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoveling or snow blower? no plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by recycledsole, Nov 29, 2014.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole Junior Member

Hey guys I'm not ready to make leap to getting a plow, but I would like to stay busy during the winter. Wondering a few things.
    What is the average charge to clear a 2 car driveway and 60' of sidewalk? I am thinking $80, but no idea really. And salting? I was thinking $30.
    I am also wondering about contracts, specifically in regard to post snow removal injuries.
    I have heard that clients could potentially sue if someone falls AFTER you remove snow. I'd it possible to have the contract say nut responsible for the conditions of the property after we are done, or any injuries our property damage resulting from snow or ice?
    Thanks so much I appreciate any help

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try the bidding section. But as a hint, snowblower, shoveling gets old.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Help is easy.

Spend lots of time reviewing threads in the commercial plowing section, and Elements of business section. Everything you asked for is being discussed just about all the time.

Pricing, you will have to see what works in your neck of the woods, as each market is different, and it's what your market will bear.

Insurance opt out ? Good luck, chumley. A lawyer is what you need to discuss that with as you will probably need a good contract to go with. Locally, hiring a lawyer to draw up something that pertains to your laws is best. Last I heard, it wasn't possible to prevent someone from suing you (and being held responsible by the courts) with an opt out of responsibility clause, as when the court is in session, your documents won't mean a dime if the jury finds you culpable (due to your actions or in-actions) anyway. Contracts are great for dictating who is responsible for what, and the extent of that relationship, but nothing will completely absolve you from being held responsible. Well........ other than not being there, or involved in the first place. At Least that's the way it is here.

Contracts keep people honest with regards to keeping who does what in check, but AFAIK, they cannot eliminate your ability to be sued and found guilty of causing the occurrence, as you were there, and you cleared snow.

let us know what your lawyer says. Would be interesting to hear what they think.

I had no idea that it snowed in Maryland. I thought it was like florida.....:laughing:

4. recycledsole

Thanks buddy. My question want whether the shovel or blower oz better, but more about what to charge and how to be un liable. Thanks for your response

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Un liable ? Is that a word ?

Blower or shovel ?

Easy work, or backbreaking work ? If you like to shovel, that that's a good form of exercise. I do it for the exercise if there's not enough to use the blower. I actually enjoy it, to a point (not for hours, mind you)

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, 90.00 a driveway. By shoveling.
    59.00 to salt

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

How many grove ways do you think you can shovel in a day, how quickly can you shovel them? Do you have a snow blower now,how can you get it around?

8. recycledsole

I don't have a snow blower. I have a 4 wheel drive half ton truck and a dump trailer.

9. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

so during a snow storm your going to tow a trailer around with a snow blower in it.. park on the side of the road and block plows coming up and down the road as it takes you 45 minutes to clear a small two car driveway?

sounds like your causing more safety hazards than you think… and that dump trailer you need in the summer what are you going to do when the salt destroys it after you towed it around town all winter? are you prepared to replace it or have it rebuilt?

I tried the snowblower thing one year for two driveways. I carried the blower on a rack in the receiver on the back of the truck… by the end of the season even with hosing it off the 2 year old snow blower looked 20yrs old.

Do you have insurance? you can't opt out of liability. If your on someones property doing work, immediately your liable..the whole reason your clearing the driveway is to keep it safe, you should be taking pride in how safe it is when your done.

10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

So are you trying to run a business or just hustle some beer money? I just looked at another thread you are asking questions in and folks are citing case law back and forth about responsibility, what are you set out to do? Most of us here pay insurance and accept the responsibility of running a professional snow/ice business, I may be mistaken but it sounds like that is not your strategy.
    Anybody can show up to shovel snow as long as they are warm,breathing and able to move it is all the other value we put in that makes the diffrence.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No one in their right mind is going to pay $80 to clear a 2 car driveway. $30 to salt on top of that. There's guys on here that do 120 driveways per storm. You honestly think they're marking 10K a night.

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I guess I've worked for people who are "not in their right mind".:laughing:

Seriously, I've gotten that on many a job, but it's all based upon length of the drive, depth of snow, and terrain. There are quite a few driveways here that would second as a ski slope, and I won't even go near them. I get anywhere from $35 to $50 to $135 to do a driveway.... again, based upon the scope of work entailed. It comes down to the fact that every market is different, and each will support (or not) the costs associated with the service.