1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoveling In Front of Garage Doors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FatherandSon, Jan 6, 2003.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Been plowing since 1976 and notice a change in customers. Been getting calls recently complaining that I did not shovel in front of the garage doors. I back drag from the doors as close as possible but do not shovel them.

Average charge is $30-$40 per driveway. Most driveways are about 150' long.

One customer asked why I don't get out of the truck and shovel the doors clear. Responded for that price it won't happen.

Does anyone on her shovel out the garage doors? Also are you noticing more complaints, minor bitching about tire marks off the side of the drive etc?

Happy New Year to All

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it all depends on, what the customer wants, and is willing to pay for. when i get a call for a residential driveway, i let the customer tell me what they want done. then i tell them how i will do it and how much it will cost them. when you give your estimate's, make sure your figuring in all the extras they want. also when you talk to them, tell them what your doing for your price, driveway only, steps & walks, salt, no salt, etc...

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Myself I do like you do ,get as close to the door as I can then back drag or push across if i can but not that many to do that.Never had any one complain as of yet but who knows what goes thru there mindes.:confused:

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I thought long & hard about how to deal with this as well as low pricing, guys that don't stake/repair damage in spring. Till now we have only done one type of residential work, stake all properties repair in spring, we will shovel walks/garage door for additional fee. We do both seasonal & per trip.
    Starting next season our contract will have pricing structure as follows:
    Basic Snowplowing: Customer is responsible for staking & repairs in spring(we assume no liability, written right in contract).

Standard package: We will stake out drive & repairs in spring(will be about $ 20/season more than basic).

Deluxe package: Standard + walks & in front of garage door shoveled(wiil be around $70/season more than standard).

Hope this helps.

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'm also noticing that lately in my area people act like they deserve top quality service for next to nothing.:nono:
    In your case FatherandSon, I get out of the truck to clean up depending on the customer. I have a few customers that have been downright rude to me and they always seem to be my cheaper accounts. Get out of the truck for them, yah sure when hell freezes over.

6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

alot of customers ask for cleaning infront of garages, walks and steps.

we charge extra for this service.

salting drive: $30/application
    clean walk and infront of garage: $25/per snow event

we also have season rates for these services also.

if any one has a contract to share, i would like to see it. we will share ours if you want to see it. just email me.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This came up the other day. Basically, if it can't be done from the cab of a truck, I don't do it.

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Not a garage, but simmillar physically....

I have this one part of my hospital lot that is retaining walls on three sides and need to back drack away from them..

Had an argument with the maintainence guy today. Wanted me to get closer. Drive up to the wall and the curve of the blade only allows me to get within 12" or so, "#$%#$" he tells me. Then the side wall I have to back up with the edge of the plow along the wall, I don't want to get closer than 4-6" beacause of the plow gets caught on the concrete wall.. "#@!$!@#" he tells me.

This guy polishes his shovel all day if you get my drift... The Hospital Admin. completely sees my point. Usually I like to be there and done before 6am (The time he gets to work) just for this reason.

I don't like shoveling, and don't keep one in the truck. I might be a wuss, but getting in and out of the truck gets me a little damp and really cold.

Howard

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

No it just leaves you with a good back ,like mick said if it can't be done from the cab of the truck i don't do it

10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I never get out of the Truck to shovel

The only time I get out of the truck at a account is to collect $$$$$$$:p otherwise they better call someone else:waving: to shovel.:D

11. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

you guys are (EDITED) lazy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2003
  12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

sirsweatsalot watch your mouth

Lazy I don't think so I have payed my dues doing little drives many yrs ago & I now have all large lots! 2-3+ acre --2- 4+ acre & a 7 acre lots that I do all by my self 1 truck & salter. :D I do some drives but most are for free for friends, family,neighbors ;) so get off your high horse as I'm far from lazy as I run a Waterwell biz at the same time the snow is flying.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  13. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I think you should shovel the walks on residentials if they are not too long. If they are longer, you tack on an additional fee right. I kinda agree with sirsweatalot too, comeon guys, especially if it is an elderly person. It all depends on what you feel like doing but in my case I would shovel. :waving:

14. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I will shovel in front of the garage doors. I build that into the price. My thinking is that, the person is paying for a service which in my opinion is basically to be able to get out of their house to the street. So, if (unlike my garage) you can get your car / truck in the garage, you can walk into the garage, hop in and go. Since most accounts have door openers, there is no reason for the person to get out of their vehicle to close the door. With the closer, if there is snow under the door it will go back up, so I try to make it so they can just pull out and go. Walks are NOT included, and I will give an additional price on them if they are required but I try to exclude them whenever possible.

I don't really think that there is a right or wrong answer here, probably more of a "what the market will bear" type of thing. If no one shoveled, then no one would have to....know what I mean ?

15. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I wasn't going to say anything but,, lawnkid made me "I think you should shovel the walks on residentials if they are not too long"

How do you justify getting out of your truck and shoveling for free??.
    Lets say you have 25 accounts with say 10 foot walks 3 feet wide. 3-5" snow 5-8 min.s,,6-12" 8-15 mins...just approximates here.

25 accounts with 4" snow = 125min a touch more than 2hrs.
    25 accounts with 8" snow = 250min now thats a little over 4hrs

In that time i could have plowed anywhere from 30-60 more driveways depending on the snowfall.

16. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Like most , it depends on the account. If they want it , they pay for it . I have one "pet" account , they pay fast , i make a ton of money on them , and have passed my name on to others and have got me more work. I do there walks and in front of their doors , takes maybe 5 min tops. It would be diff if i had 25 of these accounts , but its only the one.

17. a palustris

a palustris Member

Shovel in front of garage doors, and walkways. That is how I was taught to do it... the right way.

18. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

hello everyone.
    i have to side with lawn kid and sirsweatsalot here. ohio snow you are LAZY your only 45. im sure if you had a 80 year old mother or a pregent wife and you didn't have time to shovel the walks so they could get the paper and mail you'd want the snow service to, while they are doing the drive way. and if you are to lazy to get out of the truck like Mick why don't you have someone else ride with you too shovel, salt steps, ect. in my opinion we're in the snow removel biz, not just to sit in a truck, but to work. i could sit in my living room and tell people i work hard and payed my dues.

19. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Hold on...

I don't think either is wrong, or anyone is wrong for what they do, or don't. I don't like shoveling, but will for the right price. I don't offer it, but if they ask, I offer a high price for it. I would love to sit in the truck on every job, but is someone is willing to pay "a lot" more for me to get out than so be it. But I don't thinks its wrong for those who don't, and I don't for many. I have some that don't even want Salt... Those are the nice ones, and the ones that I like because I can do what I like to do and what got me started in the first place.... PLOW.

Don't think less of others becuase they don't do what you do. In the end the customer will decide on what is needed. And no matter what, DONT put others down for how they PLOW. It's not your business, it's theirs!

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

WOW, I think this is the first time I've ever been insulted on PlowSite. You might really want to know the person better before you call him/her lazy or make other personal judgements.