1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoveling. How do you price it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

While reading- and offering humble advice- in a thread in the "new to the industry" forum, I ran into the shoveling gremlin.

Since I have yet to be asked to shovel as part of a plowing service, I wonder;

How do you price it?

On the face of it, it seems simple, X1 per hour, X2 minimum..

But what is X1? X2?

I have to assume that if you get out of the truck, you need to be making the same money as if you were IN the truck. Yes?

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I figure how long it takes to clear and x my laborer rate. I send dedicated sidewalk crew unless it takes under 5 mins. If i charged my plow rate I would be pricing myself out of the job. I'll jump out and clear walks and stairs if i have to ,the price is still based on original set price for job. I never work by the hour, my set price is based on my numbers for bidding purposes only.Can imagine the reaction I would get if I told client that I was charging 200$+ to clear walkspayup

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

One of those things I guess. Can't charge what it's worth, so you charge what you can get just to keep them happy and retaining your plowing services..I have turned down shoveling in the past, and I figure to keep doing just that if possible without losing a plow account.. Reliable on call labor is nonexistent here, and I have bigger fish to fry.