1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoveling commercial door steps....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fisher II, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

I have a commercial site that ive plowed for 10 yrs or so. Its a little under 2 acres of plowing. I get $300 to plow every 6 inches. Heres where I need some help. They have 17 commercial condos on this site(all attached) with a total of 43 door stoops around 4x4 each. They want a quote for shoveling all stoops every 4in. including icemelt. How would you charge for something like this? My 1st instinct is to charge $5 for shoveling&$3 for icemelt on each stoop for a total of $344. Now that seems weird charging morethan the plowing and yet it has to be worth my while to do it, and take responsibility for it with slip and falls. What would you do?
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Often times we have properties that the sidewalk price is higher then the lot price. It is just the nature of the work. Sidewalk work is usually more tiresome and harder to find guys to do it, so you have to make it worth your wile. On a site like this it sounds like your going to be walking or driving from stoop to stoop which will add in to your time. I think your price sounds fine. Make it worth your time or let someone else deal with it.
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Your hourly labor rate x hours to clear, plus materials = price
  4. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

Sounds good to me, if you can add it in the pricing of the agreement, that should work out.
  5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Maybe you can get Brad to do it for you. He's only charging $4/hr (plus fuel and salt) to shovel walkways.

From his website:
    "From paying with CASH $7.25 per hour person. PLUS FUEL. PLUS ICE MELTING COMPOUND.
    From paying by a personal CHECK $15.00 per hour per person. PLUS FUEL. PLUS ICE MELTING COMPOUND.

Checks are higher then cash due to the labor at the bank trying to cash the checks!"

It should say: "Checks are higher than cash due to the fact I don't want to pay taxes!"
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012