1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoveling between cars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Sep 5, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a retirement property that would like to add shoveling out between cars for this season, about 80 spaces. In the past, we come back the next day to clear parking spaces and most people are great about moving their cars while we are there. I'm just wondering who else offers this service. I figure most of the time using powerlites and then shovels when the snow is too wet.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You have a good chance of damaging one of the cars while shoveling or blowing... I personally wouldn't do it but if they insist make sure you price it very high because of all the liability issues...they might change their minds if they see your side of the situation.

Good luck

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Doing this would be a major mistake on your part. You're going to have someone say that the dent or scratch on their car is from you. I had a guy just last season try to blame me for a big scrape on his Neon. Luckily his car had 50 other dents and dings so when the cops arrived they laughed in his face.

Bottom line is that you're just opening yourself up to a lot of problems.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about the dents as much as the liability issue. Once you add that to the contract you will have to make sure that area is clean and salted. What happens when someone comes out and cleans their car off into the space between the cars that you just cleared. Are you coming back to clear that also.

5. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Headaches, Headaches and more headaches. Charge enough so they don't see it feasible or enough to take some of the risk out of it....

6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Good comments, thanks guys.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

...not to mention all the snow people will brush off their car and pack down while doing so.

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

old people in a home....snow...... your gonna provide technical service and hope no one claims a new paint job...... :salute: good luck with that.

Sure you might also rationalize in your head we'll I'll just put it in a contract ...... One word for you; DEMENTIA. fight that one.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My back hurts just reading this!

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When is the last time you shoveled, anyway?

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Blizzard of 77 when we made a snow fort.wesport

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How about proposing a liquid pre-application, both sidewalks and parking lots, as well as normal ice melt applications. This will prevent the ice bond. Then have them give you a key to every car in the lot identified by license plate. Then you deal with it like a car dealers lot. plow the "street areas" back the cars up to the cars on the other side of the "road" where it's been plowed. plow the parking area. replace the cars, repeat for the other side. This would have to be accounted for in the cost of service. Figure it takes 5 minutes apiece to move and replace each car that equals close to seven man hours. without allowing for the actually plowing time. So you would need more then one guy to do this. You would need to keep good records on what cars could not be moved and why. It would take a Vee blade, Scoop plow (Hiniker Scoop, DD adj.wing, Revo,) or better yet a skid steer w/ box pusher. The maneuverability would be a big bonus. You would need to look in to the insurance angle, might be covered by their own car insurance or you could need a rider added to your auto or GL policy. The other option could be have them provide the "valet" but if that was the case I would insist on a continuous hourly rate so you get paid based on his speed.

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I live in a condo association and the company that comes through here shoveles between all the cars. I have not heard of any issues but im not on the board either. I know that no one in my buidling got thier cars scratched or dented while in the driveway or our parking lot.

14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

they run the damn sno blowers around my cars and in between the cars and garage doors by me.

3 cars damaged last year, and 2 garage door dented because they use the tank track driven blowers

my door was one of them....i got stiffed also because they said i have a plow so i must have done it...even though the scrape is bright ORANGE..and plow is red.

15. Banger

Banger Member

+1000

I have had a few accounts ask for the same service. I said no way. We have to come back anyways to clean up when everyone leaves. So, If they have cars or trucks parked for a extended periord of time they need to inform the onwers to move them after each snow fall so we can clear it. Typically drivers see that they are getting plowed in and move for you or there own good anways.

However, I do get out and clear handicap spaces out of kindness!

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

How about we build them covered parking areas- I'll be glad to come out and price it for you/them. Initial cost would be higher, but over time it would pay for itself. And I'm sure those seniors would appreciate not having to scrape their windows before the long trek to the bingo hall...

17. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

How true!!

18. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

George I think its just because they don't like you..... ask them to take the video tapes from your neighbors

19. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I wouldn't do it. We had the same request from a condo corp. I asked them who would be liable for damages to vehicles (I would be), what happens if we kick an extension cord and a car doesn't start in the morning because it wasn't plugged in (yup, my fault again), someone brushes off their car and then wonder why I don't come back to clean it? They could see my point of view.

We set a scheduled time (in this case 11:00) and any day after a snowfall, we are there at that time and they can have all the cars moved. That is it.

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldn't be nearly as worried about damage as i would liability. once you offer this service for a fee your apt to be liable when someone comes out and falls getting in their car or brushing snow off it even it they slip on their own mess