1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shovelin?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Oct 6, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Shoveling?

Ok, so Im gonna put this is the new to industry thread cause I guess Im still new. Now that Im 18 I really was looking forward to plowing this year since I can get my commercial insurance. Well I guess I waited to long to look for somebody with a truck to put me in, and since I cant afford a new truck and my truck cant push a plow, I wont be plowing this year. I have a few places that I shovlel for, just a few people in the neighborhood. A few of my buddies have asked me if I have enough work to have them help, but frankly I dont have enough to really be making much myself. But I got to thinking I would love to pick up a few more houses locally that I could take care of. I have one friend with a atv that has a plow, and so maybe i could get something small going for myself here. I was just wondering if anybody has any advice or input on what might be a way to get a few more houses. I tried putting posters out for lawn/snow and all that stuff a two years ago, and never got a thing back, so I dont think thats the best way. Does anybody have any feedback on maybe a magnet or something on my truck with a phone number?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Make fliers and put them up at the Supermarket Bulliten board or something. Shovling is pretty ambicious though. Maybe buy a snowblower if you cant afford a truck. Good Luck to ya.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I do have a John Deere snowblower, not the best, but it works. Ill try some fliers in local stores and such.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you work for someone else and LEARN?

I think a lot of young guys want to skip this important step. Make money and learn the ropes. That way when you can afford your own stuff, you will have some experience to draw from. ;)

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

DO NOT mix work with friends unless you want things to go badly for the friendship.
    Either do it by yourself or don't take on more then you can handle alone.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I just dont see myself finding work this close to the season. I tried on here, but I really dont know where else to go ask. I would much rather work for somebody for a few years and save myself some of the expenses.

7. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Contact the larger snow plowing companys in your area and sub all of their commercial sidewalks for them. Be reliable, You will potentially have to service those walks several times per event. Gets your foot in the door, you learn the business, you can make good money for little investment, If you are reliable- you will be the hero for a larger company.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try knocking on doors.