1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shovelers wage

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JRS Landscaping, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

how much do you guys pay your shovelers? i have a guy i pay 12.50hr and he wants $15hr. just shoveling nothing else. i have to drive 30 min each way to get him. he is very good and i buy him food.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you pick him up he should be at 10.00
  3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Shoveling snow (or breaking ice as it's been here lately) is the pits, $15 isn't unreasonable at all.

That being said, I don't pick people up, I've told several guys to work it out with a coworker & they usually do.
  4. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

At least 15 + beer of choice
  5. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

With everything else your doing i think your fair
  6. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Are you paying him only when he is working / shoveling and not when he is riding in the truck as you plow the lot or drive from site to site
  7. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

i payed him from the second he gets in the truck at his place till i drop him off. I spoke with him on the phone and offered him 13.50hr and 15hr when its heavy. and he said he wants 15hr and 18hr when its heavy so im getting a new guy
  8. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Thats insane! Def get someone else.
  9. CuttingEdgeLS

CuttingEdgeLS Junior Member

I know of a couple companies in our area that pay shovelers $15.00 an hour but with $3.00 of the 15 an hour going to into a "pot" which accumulates over the season. If you show up for every shift during the winter you get your "pot" money in the spring. If you miss work one day your "pot" zeros out and you have to start all over. Good little incentive to make sure employees are always showing up for work because the pot can get to a few hundred dollars of cash which would feel real good at the end of winter.
  10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I pay my guy $25 an hour, he drives his truck, does his job, I don't have to babysit him....
  11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I pay $12/hr from time in to time out. There ends up being alot of drive time, ass time, and breakfast. I throw an extra $100 bill at the end of a real heavy storm for doing a good job. I don't think anyone can complain for that considering the amount of work involved with my route. Anything more than a dusting is done w/ a blower. The rest is touchup and applying ice melt w/ a spreader. He's even said before it's not exactly hard work, just has to be done in the middle of the night. Now there are some routes that require a ton of shoveling. Fortunately my lots don't work out that way and I can do them all w/ a blower.
  12. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

tymusicIts hard to find a (for lack of a better word) "stable" side walk snow remover employee. I dont get into the "losers".:help: If you dont have your act together and are dependant on smoke, weed etc or booze. I dont want you. My sidewalk guys are able to run any of my equipment, work independantly and get to work on their own and on time. My rate of pay is the same as the employees that only do in cab work. 20 bucks an hour, paid weekly .
  13. KM81

KM81 Member

First off, I wont even hire someone if they dont have dependable transportation to and from work. That being said, I wouldnt pay more than $10/hr for shoveling.
  14. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

So you want them to have dependable transportation, but you don't want to pay them enough to have reliable transportation.
  15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Crap!! I want to come work for you guys shoveling, I'd probably make more then I do using my dang truck with a plow as of lately

I had one guy that I did use,he was hung over 2 times and missed, so no longer works for me. but I paid him 10.00hr if he was shoveling or riding, but I made sure that he was shoveling more then riding...

I have 4 people that call me every time the snow flies, I offered them 8.00hr, but so far we have not had much snow and I no longer plow about a dozen of my lots due to non payment,So I do all of it myself now.
  16. KM81

KM81 Member

huh? If you cant find a way to have reliable transportation on $10/hr then your doing it wrong. There is a fairly large percentage of the country that works for $10/hr or less that has no problem getting to work everyday
  17. LB1234

LB1234 Member

pay peanuts and you get monkees.

In my experience the cheaper you pay someone the worst worker they are (generally speaking of course). If you are looking for someone who accepts 10 an hour for labor that is what you are going to get. Note he is always going to be looking for and prob find another job (with steadier income) for 10 an hour. HOWEVER, if you pay between 15 and 20 an hour and pay for travel time usually they are willing to show up to work, do a great job and can be trusted to not d!ck around. If you have to pick the guy up and drop him off and pay him for that time that is fine. IF he is worth the money. You have to decide that.

The difference of 5 an hour over a 10 hour day is 50 bucks (of course WC and other expenses) but it should not break your bank during a storm. If it does there may be something else wrong...
  18. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I was paying 13.5/hr but i figured out a set rate (keeps me from getting the shaft). Weither he just salts, or shovels 3 feet he gets a flat $90 and uses his own vehicle. On avg snow hes out for 6hrs + his drive time so it works out. There have been a few heavy snows and he worked around 9 hrs. With the season winding down hes happy just throwing salt. If your guy wants 15/18hr tell him shut up. Your The Boss, you seem to treat him well, and theres always craigslist to replace him. You make the rules, if he thinks hes worth 15/18hr and you ride him around and im sure theres down times between lots... Tell Him Go Find The 15/18 hr. Call me a jerk or call me what you want, But theres plenty of people out of work espically during the winter and you'll have no issues replacing him for less.

Just My .02
  19. Nabattery

Nabattery Junior Member

I did shoveling up until this past year. My landscaping boss and i were contracted out through 2 construction companies to shovel out all of their sidewalks at commercial places. Banks and sidewalks in the merrimack valley area of massachusetts. I would receive 15 an hour cash, meals on him, and being smoked up throughout every storm. I also landscaped for him in the spring, and am a foreman quality worker. (Sent to jobs by myself, without any issues, can "run the show"). But I would shovel out stairwells underground level (removing it from pits) Clear sidewalks, salt.... everything. We had about 17 places, it would take us 3 hours to do 1 cycle just salting (about 1/2 hour as drive time). But, i thought it was perfectly fair, we would grab a 3rd guy sometimes (some spanish guy from lawerence) for 10 an hour so we wouldnt suffer during big storms. He took very good care of me, but on the other hand... If he was sick, i would take his truck, get equipment, and run everything, for the same pay. With snow removal not really being steady work, you should take care of your employees. But on the other hand, they should be willing to do just about anything. I have had to change the tire if it went flat, etc... But i got paid, pick up to drop off (my house was on the way to our shop, so pointless for him to literally just drive by me) Thats just my opinion, for what its worth.
  20. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You guys are killing me, stop already! LOL